Listen to Austin 360 Radio

Remembering the tragic Beverly Hills Supper Club fire

The Enquirer

Memories of the fateful night that the Beverly Hills Supper Club burned don’t fade for the ones who were there. Guests, staff, rescue workers, reporters. Not even after more than four decades.

On May 28, 1977, the popular nightclub in Southgate, Kentucky, was filled with an overcrowded dinner audience waiting for singer John Davidson to take the stage. A fire started in the Zebra Room and quickly spread. A busboy, Walter Bailey, jumped on stage and told everyone to evacuate. The exits were bottlenecked with people. Some were not clearly marked. People were overcome by smoke and toxic fumes and 165 people never made it out.

Survivors and witnesses, haunted by that night, have shared their stories throughout the years. So that no one ever forgets.

Beverly Hills Supper Club stories from Enquirer archives

What remains: A night never left behind 

‘That ground is sacred ground.’ Community gathers to remember the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire

Reporter recalls 1977 Beverly Hills Supper Club fire

Development lawsuit resolved, no construction on Beverly Hills Supper Club site

Read The Enquirer’s coverage of the Beverly Hill Supper Club fire