Wheatsville Food Co-op donates nearly $200,000 to local nonprofits
Every month, customers at Wheatsville Food Co-op can round up their grocery bill to donate to a different Austin nonprofit.
Wheatsville kicks in $1,000 for each of the organizations, and together, they typically raise $12,000 or more each month for local nonprofits. Wheatsville staff also volunteer at each of the nonprofits during the year.
The fundraising total for this Community Action Fundraiser has been growing over the years, and the co-op announced this week that last year’s effort generated $194,443 in donations, which is $10,000 more than they raised the year before.
At an event earlier this week, the grocery co-op announced the fundraising total for each nonprofit:
• January: People’s Community Clinic: $14,643.96
• February: SAFE: $15,319.49
• March: Austin Parks Foundation: $14,453.19
• April: Austin Pets Alive!: $15,874.53
• May: Sustainable Food Center: $14,338.06
• June: Hospice Austin: $13,020.49
• July: Workers Defense Project: $12,854.78
• August: Meals on Wheels Central TX: $14,487.51
• September: Urban Roots: $12,708.70
• October: Twin Pines Co-op Foundation: $9,876.70
• November: Central Texas Food Bank: $14,489.20
• December: Caritas of Austin: $13,808.87