Bicycle World unveils slate of free weekly triathlon workouts
Once again, proof that you don’t need a lot of money to get fit.
Bicycle World Austin has unveiled a slate of free weekly triathlon workouts led by local coaches and pro triathletes. The six weekly sessions take place at locations across the city and are open to all, from beginners to veteran athletes.
“We want to help those who are new to the sport, which can be intimidating and very confusing at first,” Natasha van der Merwe, a professional triathlete and coach who is spearheading Bicycle World’s community outreach program, said in a press release. “It’s daunting to tackle one sport, and triathlon requires athletes to take on three at the same time.”
Here’s the schedule:
- Monday – 6:30 p.m. Speed and strength, led by Coach Steve at Lamar Middle School Track, 6201 Wynona Avenue.
- Wednesday – 6 a.m. Weekly triathlon swim hosted by Coach Steve at Rattan Creek Pool, 7617 Elkhorn Mountain Trail; 6:15 a.m. track at Austin High School, 1715 Cesar Chavez Street, hosted by Big Pistachio and BW Racing Team.
- Thursday – 6:30 p.m. – Triathlon focused cycling workout hosted by Coach Steve at Coach Steve’s house in Northwest Austin (email email@example.com for directions).
- Friday – 6:30 a.. swim workout the final Friday of each month hosted by the Austin Triathlon Club at Barton Springs, followed by coffee at Austin Java.
- Saturday – Bicycle World Saturday Bike Ride, various routes, start times and meet up locations posted on Bicycle World Austin FaceBook page by Wednesday.
- Sunday – 7 a.m. Long run hosted by BW Racing Team. Meet at Bicycle World Austin parking garage, followed by a social at Austin Java/Whole Foods and other locations.
Along with the free community workouts, Bicycle World also offers twice monthly triathlon workshops that cover everything from basic bike maintenance and equipment needs to nutrition and swimming tips and tricks.
Details about both the weekly workouts and the workshops are posted on Bicycle World’s Facebook page here. Bicycle World Austin is located at 300 South Lamar Boulevard.
The Bicycle World Racing Team includes Natasha Van Der Merwe, “Barney” Paul Matthews, Quincy Arey, Kate Braybrook, Carly Conrad, Haley Koop, Melissa Miller, Padre Mora, Doreen Redenius, Chris Reynolds, CP Ross, Todd Sapio, Aaron Shapley, Alan Smith and Brandi Swicegood.