Two dozen things to do with the family this spring break weekend, March 16-18
Spring break won’t go on forever, but this weekend is still full of great family-friendly activities in and around Austin. It might rain on Saturday, so be prepared.
Check out our list of two dozen things to do:
- Rock & Read at the Domain. Musicians include the Hoots, 1-2-3 Andres, the Que Pastas, Superfun Yeah Yeah Rocketship. 2-5:30 p.m. Saturday. Free. Domain lawn by Dick’s Sporting Goods and Dillard’s. sparetherock.com
- “Hello Dolly! A Tribute to Dolly Parton.” Celebrate Dolly Parton’s music with Superfun Yeah Yeah Rocketship, Red Yarn, Jon Langford, 1-2-3 Andres, Ms. Kat, Que Pastas, SaulPaul and more. 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Friday. Scottish Rite Theater, 207 W. 18th St. $3 adults, $1 children. sparetherock.com
- KUTX live broadcast kids’ music lineup. The KUTX live broadcast at the Four Seasons during South by Southwest will feature children’s music between the sets each morning. Laura Doherty and 1-2-3 Andres, Friday. Lucky Diaz & the Family Jam Band and Sugar Free Allstars, Saturday. $5 for a wristband for the kids-only stage. $15 for the adult stage. Four Seasons Hotel, 98 San Jacinto Blvd. fourseasons.com
Bullfighter Wacy Munsellbull looks for an opportunity to distract a bull named 805 Major Malfunction As fighter Lance Brittan lands after being hooked by the bull at Rodeo Austin. Mark Matson/Rodeo Austin
- Rodeo Austin. Watch the pigs race, the bull riders, barrel racers and more. $5-$8 fairgrounds admission, $20-$36 rodeo seats. Daily through March 24. Expo Center, 9100 Decker Lake Road.
- Sherwood Forest Faire. Travel back in time to merry ol’ England with this fair. 10 a.m. to dusk, Friday-Sunday. $12-$22. 1883 Old U.S. 20, McDade. sherwoodforestfaire.com
- Circus Chickendog’s “1001 Tricks in 1 Hour!” See the original show with rescue dogs. 1 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10:30 p.m. Saturday. $15; free for children younger than 3. The Institution Theater, 3708 Woodbury Drive. chickendog.net
- Bullock Museum. Spring Break at the Bullock. Hands-on activities, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday. Bullock Museum, 1800 N. Congress Ave. thestoryoftexas.com
- Hill Country Science Mill. Robot Mania. Special hands-on activities. Friday. Hill Country Science Mill, 101 Lady Bird Lane, Johnson City. sciencemill.org
- Texas Museum of Science and Technology. This Cedar Park museum and planetarium will close after Sunday. Currently you can see the exhibit “Amazing Butterflies” and do the TimeWalk, journey through the Precambrian and Jurassic eras and into the Holocene period. $18-$12. 1220 Toro Grande Drive, Cedar Park. txmost.org
A T. rex skull is part of “The Genesis Exhibit” at the Texas Museum of Science & Technology. Nicole Villalpando/American-Statesman
- Asian American Resource Center. Indian American Children’s Literature: Celebrate Indian literature with stories, crafts and games. Free. 2-4 p.m. Sunday. Asian American Resource Center, 8401 Cameron Road. austintexas.gov/aarc
- Thinkery. Baby Bloomers: Light It Up. Learn about light. 9 a.m. Saturday. For birth to age 3. $5. Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave. thinkeryaustin.org
- Thinkery. Cow Eye Dissection: Ages 4 and up. 10:30 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. or 3:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. $8. Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave. thinkeryaustin.org
- Zach Theatre presents “Goodnight Moon.” The classic children’s book comes to the stage. 2 p.m. Sunday. $18-$24. Kleberg Stage, 1421 Riverside Drive. zachtheatre.org
The Easter Bunny will be at Hill Country Galleria and other malls around town.
- Easter Bunny photos. 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, Noon-6 p.m. Sundays, Barton Creek Square; simon.com/barton-creek-square. 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, Noon-6 p.m. Sundays, Lakeline Mall; simon.com/mall/lakeline-mall, Round Rock Premium Outlets, premiumoutlets.com/outlet/round-rock.
- Caring Bunny. For kids with special needs and sensory disorders and their families. 9-10:30 a.m. Sunday. Barton Creek Square and Round Rock Premium Outlets. 10-11:30 a.m. Sunday, Lakeline Mall. Free, but you need to register, simon.com/barton-creek-square; premiumoutlets.com/outlet/round-rock; simon.com/mall/lakeline-mall
- Toybrary Austin. Daddy and Me Playdate: Let’s Go Fishing: 10:30 a.m. Saturday. $10. Toybrary Austin, 2001 Justin Lane. toybraryaustin.com
- BookPeople 10:30 a.m. story times: Luchador Legends: Friday. Lucky Day: Saturday. BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd. bookpeople.com
- Barnes & Noble Events: 11 a.m. Saturdays, story times at all locations: “The Gingerbread Man and the Leprechaun Loose at School”: Saturday.
“Back To The Future”
- Teen Tech Week: Stop Motion Animation: 2 p.m. Friday, Central Library.
- Tween STEM Lab. Electric Sculpture with Squishy Circuits. 3 p.m. Friday, Cepeda Branch.Alamo Drafthouse. Kids Camp: “All Dogs Go to Heaven.” 9:30 a.m. Sunday, Lakeline. drafthouse.com
- Alamo Drafthouse. “Back to the Future”: 1:15 p.m. Saturday, Slaughter Lane. drafthouse.com
- The Third Floor Corridor: Teen Harry Potter Club. 2 p.m. Sunday, Central Library.
- Friday Movie Matinee: “Sing.” 3:30 p.m. Friday, Old Quarry Branch.
- “PAW Patrol” Party. 10:15 a.m. Friday, Carver Branch.