20 things to do with the family in Austin this Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, Jan. 12-15
It’s going to be beautiful, long weekend for getting out of the house and doing something with the family. Celebrate diversity, learn something new and have fun with these 20 family events:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day March and Parade. The parade starts at the Martin Luther King Jr. statue at the University of Texas campus and goes around the Capitol to Huston-Tillotson University. 9 a.m. Monday. mlkcelebration.com
- When I Grow Up Festival. Partners in Parenting presents this festival, which will allow kids to meet adults in different professions like dancers, firefighters, chefs, musicians, engineers, artists, doctors, dentists and more. 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday. Free. Asian American Resource Center, 8401 Cameron Road. Register at pipaustin.org/when-i-grow-up/
- Contemporary Austin. Families Create: Hit the Road. Make auto-themed art and listen to Austin musicians. 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Free. Laguna Gloria, 3809 W. 35th St. thecontemporaryaustin.org
- Umlauf Sculpture Garden Family Day. Learn different forms of exercise as a family, plus make art. Noon-4 p.m. Sunday. Free. Umlauf Sculpture Garden, 605 Robert E. Lee Road. unmlaufsculture.org
- Whole Foods Skating on the Plaza. It’s the lat few days of the season. Go ice skating 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. through Monday. $10 per person. Whole Foods Market, 525 N. Lamar Blvd. wholefoodsmarket.com
- “Go, Dog. Go!” See the book come to life. 2 p.m. Sunday. $19-$15. Paramount Theatre, 713 Congress Ave. austintheatre.org
- Winter faerie tea parties. Dress for the fairies and drink tea, eat mini cakes and go explore the fairy lands. 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Sunday. $20. Zilker Botanical Garden, 2220 Barton Springs Road. Register online at austintexas.gov/parksonline
- That’s My Face Film Series: “Something the Lord Made.” 6:30 p.m. Friday, Carver Museum, 1165 Angelina St. carver-museum.org
- Zach Theatre presents “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.” Head to Narnia in the C.S. Lewis tale. 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturdays, 2 p.m. Sundays, through Feb. 10. $18-$24. Whisenhunt Stage, 1510 Toomey Road. zachtheatre.org
- Hideout Theatre Presents: Improv for Kids. Join the cast in creating the story. 11 a.m. Sundays. $5. Hideout Theatre, 617 Congress Ave. hideouttheatre.org
- Alamo Drafthouse PBS Kids “Odd Squad.” 11 a.m. Saturday and Sunday, Lakeline. drafthouse.com
- Thinkery. Early Learners: Silly Science. 9:30 a.m. 1-year-olds, 10:30 a.m. 2-year-olds, 11:30 a.m. 3-year-olds Monday. $20 per class. Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave. thinkeryaustin.org
- Thinkery. Art Bots. Ages 4 and up. 10:30 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. or 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Sunday and Monday. $8. Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave. thinkeryaustin.org
- BookPeople. Author Cristee Cook reads. 11:30 a.m. Saturday. BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd. bookpeople.com
- Art Smart: Native American Celebration. 2 p.m. Saturday, Howson Branch.
Baby Bloomers is happening Saturday but not Monday at the Thinkery. Tamir Kalifa for American-Statesman
- Thinkery. Baby Bloomers. Boogie on Down in January. 9 a.m. Saturday. (No Baby Bloomers Monday). For birth to age 3. Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave. thinkeryaustin.org
- Daddy and Me Playdate. 10:30 a.m. Saturday. Toybrary Austin, 2001 Justin Lane. toybraryaustin.com
- Barnes & Noble Events: 11 a.m. Saturdays story times at all locations: “Paddington,” Saturday.
- Austin Ukestra. 1 p.m. Sunday, Recycled Reads Bookstore.
- Saturday Movie Matinee: “Moana.” 2 p.m. Saturday, University Hills Branch.