20 things to do this weekend in Austin with your family, Dec. 15-17
It’s going to be a great Friday and Sunday to enjoy some holiday fun. Warning: There’s a 100 percent chance of rain on Saturday. Watch out! Here are 20 events you can try this weekend:
- Ballet Austin’s “The Nutcracker.” See the holiday classic. 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. $15-$98. The Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Drive. thelongcenter.org
- Austin Trail of Lights. Wander through Zilker Park’s lighted trails. 6 to 10 p.m. through Dec. 23. $3. Zilker Park. austintrailoflights.org
- Zilker Tree. The tree will be lighted every night through Dec. 31. Zilker Park. austintexas.gov/zilkerholidaytree.
- Winter Wonderland at the Circuit of the Americas. See lights, go skating, enter the petting zoo and Santa’s workshop and more. 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday. $16, plus additional fees for some activities. circuitoftheamericas.com/winter-wonderland.
- Trail of Lights. 6 to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 6 to 9 p.m. Sunday, through Dec. 28. Free. EmilyAnn Theatre, 1101 Ranch Road 2325, Wimberley. emilyann.org
- Mozart’s Christmas Light Show. 6 to 11 p.m. nightly through Jan. 1. Mozart’s Coffee Roasters at Oyster Landing, 3825 Lake Austin Blvd. mozartscoffee.com
- Whole Foods Skating on the Plaza. Go ice skating 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. now through Jan. 15. Closed Christmas Day. $10 per person. Whole Foods Market, 525 N. Lamar Blvd. wholefoodsmarket.com
- Teddy Bear Tea. Tea, carolling and a reading of “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas” with Santa. Bring an unwrapped new teddy bear to donate to Dell Children’s Medical Center. While you’re there, don’t miss the gingerbread village. $30-$45. Saturday and Sunday. Four Seasons Hotel Austin, 98 San Jacinto Blvd. Make reservations by calling 512-685-8300. fourseasons.com/austin
- “A Christmas Carol.” 10 a.m. Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday. $8-$10. EmilyAnn Theatre, 1101 Ranch Road 2325, Wimberley. emilyann.org/productions
- “Junie B. Jones in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells.” Junie B. is ready to take on her nemesis May in this holiday story. 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. $10-$15. Scottish Rite Theater, 207 W. 18th St. scottishritetheater.org
- Hideout Theatre Presents: “Monster Holidays.” 2 p.m. Sunday. $5. Hideout Theatre, 617 Congress Ave. hideouttheatre.org
- Thinkery Gingerbread House Workshops. Traditional or Tot (ages 5 and younger) 9:30 a.m., 9:45 a.m., 10:45 a.m., 11 a.m., 2:45 p.m., 4 p.m., Saturday and Sunday. $12 per person plus $20 house kit. Gingerbread Art and Architecture for ages 7 and older. 10:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. $12 per person plus $30 house kit. Candy Chemistry for ages 7 and older. Make candy to go on your house. 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. $12 per person plus $30 house kit. Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave. thinkeryaustin.org
- Gingerbread House Workshop at The Candy Jar. 3:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. $50 per house; children younger than 6 must have an adult with them. The Candy Jar, 12700 Hill Country Blvd. Suite 110. Register at thecandyjartx.com.
- Meet & Greet with Santa. Come meet Santa at the Hill Country Galleria. Noon to 6 p.m. Sunday, 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, noon to 8 p.m. Saturday. Plus a synchronized tree lighting every half hour 5 to 10 p.m. daily. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd. hillcountrygalleria.com
- The Carver’s Christmas Special. Celebrate Christmas with Santa at the Carver Museum. Noon to 3 p.m. Saturday. Carver Museum, 1165 Angelina St. austintexas.gov.
- Cookies and Crafts. Get a picture with Santa, plus make crafts and enjoy cookies. 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Catch Air Austin, 13450 U.S. 183 Suite 107. Free with admission. catchairparty.com.
- Zach Theatre presents “The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.” Head to Narnia in the C.S. Lewis tale. 11 a.m. Saturday. More shows through Feb. 10. $18-$24. Whisenhunt Stage, 1510 Toomey Road. zachtheatre.org
- Wildflower Center. Winter, Wonder, Land. Find out what happens to a garden in winter. $15 adults, $10 children. Noon-2 p.m. p.m. Saturday. $15. Wildflower Center, 4801 La Crosse Ave. wildflower.org
Austin-based children’s performer Ms. Staci Gray entertains at a room packed with kids and their parents as they try to burst bubbles during story time at BookPeople. RICARDO B. BRAZZIELL / AMERICAN-STATESMAN
- BookPeople story times. 11:30 a.m. Saturday story time benefiting BookSpring, which donates books to schools that can’t afford them. 12:30 p.m. Saturday Kids Book Club for ages 8-12. BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd. bookpeople.com
- Barnes & Noble 11 a.m. Saturdays, story times at all locations: “River Rose and the Magical Christmas.”