Back-to-school to-do list: Mark your calendar for important dates
School is starting in as few as 17 days as many as 29 days for local students. It all depends on your school district.
It’s time to do some investigation of the calendar for the year so you don’t get caught off guard.
Take out the old calendar or your phone and mark off these days:
- Meet the teacher for elementary school/orientation or book pickup days for middle school and high school. (It will vary by school; check your school’s website.)
- First day of school (Don’t base it at all on last year. It’s a whole different ballgame this year.)
- Last day of the six weeks or nine weeks. (Know these because usually a week or two before, your children might have major assignments due).
- Exams and STAAR testing dates. Exams vary by district and even by school sometimes. The Texas Education Agency has the 2018 STAAR testing dates on its calendar at tea.texas.gov.
- Back to School Night. (This varies by school or by grade, so check out your school’s website).
- Major holidays that every one has off like Labor Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day.
- At some districts holidays like Veteran’s Day, Columbus Day, President’s Day and Good Friday also are student holidays. There also might be other random student holidays.
- Late start days or early release dates for high-schoolers.
- Thanksgiving Break. (This year, Austin Independent School District is going to a full week of break. Is yours as well?)
- Start and finish of winter break.
- Bad weather makeup days. (These are set holidays that might be taken away if we have a day of ice or snow or flooding.)
- Spring Break.
- Last day of classes. (Many schools do not go into June this year).
If the kids don’t have school, what is going to be your plan for them? Do you have a baby sitter/relative on hand? Call them now and secure their time. Will kids go to a one-day or week-long camp? Will you need to take off of work? Coordinate that with your boss now.
When does your school start?
Check our list:
Lake Travis ISD
Liberty Hill ISD
Round Rock ISD
Lago Vista ISD
Dripping Springs ISD
Hays Consolidated ISD
San Marcos Consolidated ISD
Marble Falls ISD
Johnson City ISD