Countdown to the Capitol 10,000: 8 weeks of tips
This year marks the 35th anniversary of the Statesman Capitol 10,000 presented by H-E-B, which is the largest 10K in Texas and the fifth largest in the nation. The annual rite of spring in the capital city attracts the silly and the serious.
More than 25,000 participants will join the race on March 25 to benefit Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas. Mark your calendar and bring the whole family to this festive event. Walk it, jog it or run it.
Each Sunday until the race, Venture Out will feature the Cap10 Countdown to help get you ready.
This week: Ready to race?
With eight weeks to go, now is the perfect time to start training for the 10K (6.2 miles). In fact, it's not too late to register for the Cap 10K Race + Training at cap10k.com. Cap 10K training providers will help you cross the finish line with a sense of satisfaction. If you have begun your own training, remember:
1. Check with your doctor before starting any new fitness regimen.
2. Visit a local running shop to get fitted for a new pair of running or walking shoes that fit your stride perfectly.
3. S-t-r-e-t-c-h before and after exercise.
4. Do not increase your weekly mileage by more than 10 percent per week.
5. Stay positive. Join a friend or listen to music to stay motivated (but keep the volume down on those earbuds).
— Mercedes E. Orten, event coordinator, Statesman Capitol 10,000