Musicians to honor bombing victim
UPDATE: A planned "Tribute to Draylen" concert with Shakey Graves, Carrie Rodriguez, Warren Hood, Mother Falcon scheduled for March 5 has been postponed. Organizers say the concert will be rescheduled in the next few months.
Austin Mayor Steve Adler has officially proclaimed March 3 to be “Draylen Mason Tribute Day.”
A promising bass player, Mason was only 17 when he was killed March 12 in one of the package explosions that shook Austin last year. He played in numerous ensembles, including Austin Soundwaves, the Austin Youth Orchestra, the Soul Tree Collective, the East Austin College Prep Mariachi and Golden Hornet. At the time of his death, Mason had already been accepted to the University of Texas at Austin's Butler School of Music, the University of North Texas and the prestigious Oberlin Conservatory of Music in Ohio.
“His love of music was so inspiring,” one of his orchestra instructors, Dana Wygmans, said of Mason during a 2018 vigil celebrating his life. “He was naturally intuitive, and he worked incredibly hard to get where he was. He earned every single word of praise he was ever given, and he earned every opportunity that he had. He was such an incredible, incredible artist, and he was taken from us too early.”
On March 3, the Austin Youth Orchestra will dedicate its spring concert to Mason.
Then on March 5, several top-tier Austin musicians, including Shakey Graves, Carrie Rodriguez, Warren Hood, and Mother Falcon, will play “A Tribute to Draylen” at the Palm Door event space. Several of Mason's former musical collaborators will also perform. That show is sponsored by the Austin Youth Orchestra and South by Southwest.
Proceeds from the Palm Door concert will go to "underserved young people of talent" in the Austin area through instruction, instruments, scholarships and fellowships, organizers said. All funds will be administered through the nonprofit Austin Youth Orchestra.
Austin Youth Orchestra show on March 3
• Free, 3 p.m. Austin High School Performing Arts Center, 1715 W. Cesar Chavez St. austinyouthorchestra.org
• Lineup: AYO Sinfonietta Orchestra, Philharmonic Orchestra, Symphony Orchestra
• Music by Charles Ives, George Gershwin, Florence Price, Aaron Copland (“Lincoln Portrait”)
Tribute to Draylen on March 5
• $40, 6 p.m. Palm Door on Sixth, 508 E. Sixth St. Tickets sold through Eventbrite, "A Tribute to Draylen."
• Lineup: Shakey Graves, Carrie Rodriguez, Warren Hood, Mother Falcon, Austin Soundwaves, Mariachi Amozoc, Soul Tree Collective, Texas Hill Country Bass Collective, American Dreamer
• Emcees: Andy Langer and Bavu Blakes