Weekend picks: David Ramirez, Good Field, Urban Achievers Brass Band
By Peter Mongillo
Editor’s note: This article was originally published August 21, 2013
Listen to artists playing around town in our This Weekend in Austin playlist updated weekly.
David Ramirez at Stubb’s. On his latest release, “The Rooster,” Austin-based singer songwriter David Ramirez, who can recall Ryan Adams both in songwriting and vocal style, embraces the beauty in the bleak. With Erin Ivey. 9:30 p.m. $14. 811 Red River St. stubbsaustin.com.
- The Itals at the Flamingo Cantina
- Pink Nasty at Mohawk
- Icona Pop at Emo’s East (technically sold-out)
- Lower Class Brats, Applicators, No Problem, White Flag Down and Here to Offend at Red 7
- Ollie Vee, Ruby Dee and the Snakehandlers and Modern Don Juans at the Continental Club
- Seth Sherman, Guns of Navarone, Ben Ballinger, Your Friendly Ghost, Joanna Barbera and Taylor Baker at Holy Mountain
- Gumbo Ce Soir, Roger Wallace and Wyldwood Four at the White Horse
Good Field at Mohawk. Austin-based Good Field’s recent self-titled release shuffles along with with an appealing Americana heavy on atmosphere and subtle twists. With Black Books, Pageantry and Feverbones. 9 p.m. $10. 912 Red River St. mohawkaustin.com.
- Oh No Oh My, Royal Forest and Booker at Red 7
- Bad Lovers, Frank Smith, Wild Ones, Bummer City, Rich Hands, the Harms and Quitters at Hotel Vegas
- White Ghost Shivers at the White Horse
- Lightnin’ Malcolm and the Peterson Brothers Band at the Continental Club
- Guy Forsyth at the Saxon Pub
- Night of the Bat Fest on the Congress Avenue Bridge with Hank Williams III, Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real, Reckless Kelly, the Olms featuring Pete Yorn and more
The Urban Achievers Brass Band at the White Horse. East side honky tonk the White Horse turns to New Orleans brass band music on Sunday nights. With Javelinas. 9 p.m. Free. 500 Comal St. thewhitehorseaustin.com.
- The Wagoneers and Heybale! at the Continental Club
- the Resentments at the Saxon Pub
- Los Texmaniacs at Antone’s
- Michael Jackson Birthday Bash at the 29th St. Ballroom
- the Bread, Porch Knights and Mrs. Glass at Mohawk
- Black Tabs at the Scoot Inn