Weekend music picks: Jimmie Vaughan, Texas Tornados
By Peter Mongillo
Editor’s note: This article was originally published July 3, 2013
Listen to tracks from artists playing around town in our This Weekend in AustinSpotify playlist, updated every Wednesday.
Jimmie Vaughan and the Tilt-A-Whirl Band at Antone’s. Guitar ace Jimmie Vaughan performs along with Lou Ann Barton, his collaborator on several recent releases, including two installments of “Blues, Ballads and Favorites.” With Mike Flanigin and the Horton Brothers. 8 p.m. $20. 2015 E. Riverside Drive. antonesnightclub.com.
- Remain in Light (Talking Heads tribute) at Frank
- String Cheese Incident at the Backyard
- MOD Lower Class Brats and more at Holy Mountain
- the Calm Blue Sea, Pageantry and Borrisokane at Mohawk
The Texas Tornados and Joe King Carraso at Antone’s. Surviving members of Tex-Mex legends the Texas Tornados — Augie Meyers, Flaco Jimenez, plus Doug Sahm’s son Shawn — reunited a few years back to record a new album using previously recorded material from late members Freddy Fender and Doug Sahm. 8 p.m. $17. 2015 E. Riverside Drive. antonesnightclub.com.
- The Octopus Project (record release), Wild Moccasins and Zorch at Mohawk
- Har Mar Superstar, Gal Pals and Aadm Our Hatley at the North Door
- Love Inks, Grape St., Bad Lovers, Wes Coleman and more at Hotel Vegas
- Deep Time, the Stuffies, French Inhales and more at Beerland
- Mau Mau Chaplains at the Flamingo Cantina
- Nano Whitman and Gina Chavez at Frank
- the String Cheese Incident at the Backyard
The Backyard 20th Anniversary Celebration. A belated Fourth of July picnic of sorts, with Willie Nelson, Leon Russell, Joe Ely, Jason Boland and more celebrating the 2oth anniversary of the Backyard. Doors at noon. $45-$105. 13801 Bee Cave Parkway, Bee Cave. thebackyard.net. See photos of the Backyard through the years in our Backyard turns 20 gallery.
- The Wagoneers and Heybale! at the Continental Club
- the Resentments at the Saxon Pub
- Young Savage, Direct Hit, the Jetty Boys, DeeCracks and Spanish Reds at Beerland