Weekend music picks: Dana Falconberry, Buddy Guy, John Mayall, Rancid
By Peter Mongillo
Editor’s note: This article was originally published August 29, 2013
Listen in on artists playing around town in our This Weekend in Austin playlist updated weekly.
Dana Falconberry at Mohawk. With songs as well crafted as they are executed in a live setting, Falconberry makes the case that she is one of Austin’s top singer-songwriters. With excellent Louisiana quartet Brass Bed and Reservations. 9 p.m. $10. 912 Red River St. mohawkaustin.com.
- Kool Keith at Red 7
- Hickoids, Churchwood and El Pathos at Hole in the Wall
- KP and the Boom Boom, Roxy Roca with the Digital Wild and Bang Feather Bang at the Parish
- the Please, Please Me and Walker Lukens at Stubb’s
- Gospel Truth, Dead Space, the Gary and Bear Claw at Hotel Vegas
- Bill Carter and the Blame at the Continental Club
Buddy Guy at ACL Live. At 77, the Chicago blues guitar master is still releasing music — his latest album, “Rhythm and Blues,” came out in July — and touring behind it. With Tom Hambridge. $29-$118. 310 W. Second St. acl-live.com.
- No Age at the Museum of Human Achievement
- the English Beat, Rude King, Heart and Soul Sound System at Red 7
- Majical Cloudz and King at Red 7
- Mother Falcon, Deep Time, Royal Forest and more at Mohawk
- Soul Track Mind and Bus Stop Stallions at the Continental Club
- Ghosts Along the Brazos and more at the White Horse
John Mayall at One World Theater. John Mayall didn’t perform with every British rock star during the 1960s, but there were a lot, including Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Mick Fleetwood. 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. $20-$60. 7701 Bee Caves Road. oneworldtheatre.org.
- Girl Guitar Showcase at Antone’s (early show)
- the Wagoneers and Heybale! at the Continental Club
- the Resentments at the Saxon Pub
- Dave Henderson at Strange Brew
Rancid at ACL Live. Post Operation Ivy outfit Rancid was a punk staple for a lot of kids born around 1980. With Tim Timebomb and Friends and the Interrupters. $27. 7:30 p.m. 310 W. Second St. acl-live.com.
- Bob Schneider at the Saxon Pub
- Dale Watson and his Lone Stars at the Continental Club
- Church on Monday with Elias Haslinger at the Continental Club Gallery
- Hot Nut Riveters at Strange Brew