Weekend music picks: Ra Ra Riot, The Rides, Josh Rouse
By Peter Mongillo
Editor’s note: This article was originally published September 19, 2013
Listen to artists playing around town in our This Weekend in Austin Spotify playlist updated weekly.
Ra Ra Riot at Emo’s East. Electronic dance pop group Ra Ra Riot, who formed at school in Syracuse, recently released its third album, “Beta Love,” which combines Prince-ly pop with touches of indie rock and strings. With Caveman. 8 p.m. $18. 2015 E. Riverside Drive. emosaustin.com.
- Between the Buried and Me, the Faceless, the Contortionist and the Safety Fire at Mohawk
- Hundred Visions, Daniel Francis Doyle and Bastketball Shorts at Hotel Vegas
- Cowboy Mouth, Honey Island Swamp Band and Dr. Zog at Antone’s
- Miss Leslie and Her Juke-Jointers album release at the White Horse
- White Ghost Shivers at the Continental Club
The Rides at ACL Live. Stephen Stills, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Barry Goldberg, who recently released an album, “Can’t Get Enough,” explore the history of the blues. With Beth Hart. 6:30 p.m. $39-$73.50. 210 W. Second St. acl-live.com.
- The Black and White Years, Air Review, Pageantry and Royal Forest at the Scoot Inn
- Maggie Koerner, Erin Miley and Grace London at Stubb’s
- Jess Klein at Strange Brew
- Glenn Tilbrook at the Saxon Pub
- Adam Hood and Jason Eady at the Continental Club
Josh Rouse at the Cactus Cafe. Nebraska-born, Spain-based singer-songwriter Josh Rouse, who recently released “The Happiness Waltz,” brings his hushed style to the Cactus Cafe (this show is the first of two nights). 8 p.m. $28. 2247 Guadalupe St. cactuscafe.org.
- Urban Achievers Brass Band and Toy Hearts at the White Horse
- Manhattan Transfer at the One World Theatre
- Heybale and the Wagoneers at the Continental Club
- the Resentments at the Saxon Pub
- Travis Garland and Eddie Gomez at Stubb’s