Perez Hilton, Skrillex, Nas make SXSW news
Yes, it's that time of year when new South by Southwest announcements seem to drop hourly. Recent announcements include:
• An annual tradition, South by San José will once more take over the party lot shared by the ultra-hip Hotel San José and Jo's Coffee on South Congress Avenue. The party goes down from noon to 8 p.m. from Thursday, March 15, through Sunday, March 18. The free event features food from Jo's Coffee, beer and music. The daily schedule is not yet available, but the Alabama Shakes, the fantastic garage soul band that's currently selling out shows across the country, is a highlight. Built To Spill, Alejandro Escovedo, Billy Joe Shaver and Barbara Lynn are also on the bill.
• Perez Hilton's "One Night in Austin" will also return to SXSW, this time as an official showcase open to SXSW badgeholders. The blog queen's shindig will go down Saturday, March 17, at the Austin Music Hall (aka the venue where sound quality goes to die) which seems like a significant downgrade from last year's party that rocked the shiny and plush new ACL Live space. The showcase lineup should be out in the next week or so.
• Skrillex and friends will be at the Mohawk on Friday, March 16. We already knew Skrillex was likely to be at the MTVu Woodie Awards (where he is a leading nominee), which will film at a still-to-be-disclosed location in Austin on Thursday, March 15, so the announcement isn't a huge surprise. The Black Keys, LCD Soundsystem, Matt & Kim, Eliza Doolittle, Wiz Khalifa and Local Natives are all also scheduled to attend and Frank Ocean is up for an award, so don't be surprised if any of those folks start to trickle onto the official SXSW lineup or various side spectacles.
• Legendary rhymeslinger Nas is now on the schedule at The Belmont on Friday, March 16. The venue, which closed unexpectedly last fall and is reopening just for the festival, will also host the Jesus and Mary Chain on Thursday, March 15.
• Warner Music Group, whose previously announced SXSW showcases at La Zona Rosa include appearances by heavy hitters Santigold and Theophilus London on March 13 and T.I. and Wale on March 15, will also feature Brit Award winner Ed Sheeran. Sheeran, the self-described "spotty, chubby ginger teenager" turned teen heart throb, will play the group's Wednesday, March 16, showcase, which also features appearances by local blues wonder Gary Clark Jr. and 2011 SXSW faves Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. Sheeran recently was a big winner at the Brit music awards.
UPDATE: This story has been updated to clarify that Skrillex is a likely attendee at the MTVu Woodie Awards. He is not a scheduled performer.
Now you really can take it with you.