'Slacker' cast reunion, 'Get Out' and more added to Paramount Summer Classic Film Series
It's been 30 years since Richard Linklater's "Slacker" defined a pop cultural vision of Austin that's lingered long after the sleepy college town boomed. To celebrate the three-decade mark of the seminal film, the Paramount Summer Classic Film Series has added a screening and cast reunion to its lineup.
The theater announced the event on Tuesday. In a collaboration with Linklater's Austin Film Society, the Paramount will host a live Q&A on July 13 with the director and more than 25 "Slacker" cast members. (And by the way, the film society's AFS Cinema also reopens on July 15.)
FROM 2014: Austin 'Slacker' locations, then and now
Also added to the Paramount Summer Classic Film Series in the second round, which stretches to Aug. 8:
- Horror landmarks like "Jaws," "The Host," "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "The Thing," as well as modern classic "Get Out"
- Sci-fi flicks like "2001: A Space Odyssey," "A.I. Artificial Intelligence," "E.T. the Extraterrestrial" and "Back to the Future"
- Critically acclaimed cult classics like "Mulholland Drive," "Creed" and "Moonstruck"
- Black-and-white oldies like "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," "A Hard Day's Night," "Sunset Boulevard" and "Some Like It Hot"
- Every Texan's favorite biopic, "Selena"
- Perennial Paramount favorite "Lawrence of Arabia"
And there's more on the lineup, which you can find at the Paramount's website. Purchase tickets for all films already announced at austintheatre.org/film, or call the box office at 512-474-1221. The final batch of films on the lineup will be released on July 20.
More Austin movie news:Pineapple Tangaroa, Austin's favorite body piercer, makes cinematic mark in 'Drunk Bus'