Austin360 On The Record: Dawn & Hawkes, Justin Stewart, more
OUT THIS WEEK
Justin Stewart, “Renaissance.” The supporting cast on Stewart’s third release in five years is enough of an Austin A-list to warrant notice: Bukka Allen, Geoff Queen, John Michael Schoepf, Chris Searles, Billy Cassis, Ben Saffer. Produced by Stephen Belans (Stewart’s first two were produced by Shinyribs’ Kevin Russell and the late George Reiff, who co-produced one song here), “Renaissance” bristles with pop smarts and kinetic energy, especially on the uplifting “Saint Paul.” He slows things down on the album’s lone cover, a gently swinging version of the zen-like Don Williams country chart-topper “I Believe in You.” The closing “Redfish” is a fascinating spoken-word rumination anchored by a gentle piano melody amid a swirling atmospheric soundscape. Release shows July 6 and July 19 at Townsend; also playing July 8 at Tavern on Main in Buda. Here’s the opening track, “Texas Fatmucket”:
Kinky Friedman, “Circus of Life” (Echo Hill). Latest from the Chicago-born longtime Texan perhaps better known as a humorist, novelist and onetime candidate for Texas governor.
- JULY 13: Jimmy LaFave, “Peace Town” (Music Road).
- JULY 13: Eliza Gilkyson, “Secularia” (Red House), release show July 27 at Stateside at the Paramount.
- JULY 13: Nichole Wagner, “And the Sky Caught Fire,” release show July 14 at Townsend.
- JULY 20: Ume, “Other Nature,” in-store July 17 at Waterloo Records.
- JULY 20: Belle Sounds, “The Sea Within,” release show July 21 at One-2-One Bar.
- JULY 27: Israel Nash, “Lifted,” release show July 27 at Scoot Inn.
- AUG. 3: Kevin Galloway, “The Change” (Nine Mile), release show Aug. 3 at Continental Club.
- AUG. 17: Joe Ely, “The Lubbock Tapes: Full Circle” (Rack ’Em).
- AUG. 17: Jeremy Nail, “Live Oak.”
- AUG. 23: Mike Schoenfeld, “Little Feet” EP, release show Aug. 23 at Kitty Cohen.
- AUG. 24: White Denim, “Performance” (City Slang).
- AUGUST: Saents, self-titled EP.
- SEPT. 7: Ghostland Observatory, “See You Later Simulator,” playing Bat Fest Aug. 18.
- SEPT. 14: Gina Chavez, “Lightbeam” EP, release show Sept. 15 at Antone’s.
- SEPT. 21: Western Youth, self-titled.
- SEPT. 21: Jonathon Zemek, “Hillcrest.”
- SEPT. 28: Jerry David DeCicca, “Burning Daylight” (Super Secret).
- SEPTEMBER: Band of Heathens, “A Message From the People Revisited.”