Austin360 On The Record: Dave Alvin & Jimmie Dale Gilmore, more
OUT THIS WEEK
Dave Alvin & Jimmie Dale Gilmore, “Downey to Lubbock.” Gilmore, from Austin, and Alvin, from California, combined their considerable cred on this duo project that finds them drawing upon their broad command of Americana styles for an album consisting mostly of interpretive material. Bluesy gems from Lloyd Price and Lightnin’ Hopkins sound at home alongside classic 1960s folk tunes from John Stewart and the Youngbloods. Gilmore’s voice stands out on a rendition of Steve Young’s “Silverlake,” while Alvin brings forth a strong new original song, the western-folk ballad “Billy the Kid and Geronimo.” Check out our full Statesman feature story on Alvin and Gilmore. Release show June 2 at Antone’s. Here’s the video for the title track:
Hooka Hey, “War Cry.” Frenchman Hugo de Saint-Quentin started this rock band a decade ago in Paris before relocating to Austin, where they released the EP “Untamed” three years ago. The full-length “War Cry” extends their catalog of original tunes that are often hard and heavy, sometimes far-out and adventurous (the carnivalesque “Coney Island”). Release show May 31 at the Parish. Scenes from downtown Austin are scene in the video for the track “Herlock”:
Sam Pace & the Gilded Grit, “Judgment Eve.” As the band name suggests, this is gritty blues-rock, with perhaps a nod toward classic Northwest grunge, Pace’s first album in four years was produced by Chris “Frenchie” Smith at the Bubble studio in Austin. Release show June 2 at Swan Dive. Here’s the video for the track “Undertow”:
Zack Varner, “Blues in the Nude.” An instructor at Eastside Music School, Varner plays alto and tenor sax on this 11-song set of instrumentals that features noted musicians from the local jazz scene including bassist Daniel Durham and trumpeter Adrian Ruiz. Here’s the title track:
- JUNE 8: Jesse Dayton, “The Outsider” (Blue Elan).
- JUNE 8: Sarah Sharp, “Dream” EP.
- JUNE 15: Tish Hinojosa, “West,” playing June 8 at One World Theatre.
- JUNE 15: Half Man, “Room to Grow.”
- JUNE 22: Giulia Millanta, “Conversation With a Ghost” (Ugly Cat).
- JUNE 22: Young Mothers, “Morose” (Self Sabotage).
- JUNE 29: Cody Canada & the Departed, “3” (Underground Sound).
- JULY 3: Kinky Friedman, “Circus of Life.”
- JULY 13: Jimmy LaFave, “Peace Town.”
- JULY 20: Belle Sounds, “The Sea Within,” release show July 21 at One-2-One Bar.
- JULY 27: Israel Nash, “Lifted,” release show July 27 at Scoot Inn.
- AUG. 3: Kevin Galloway, “The Change” (Nine Mile).
- AUG. 24: White Denim, “Performance” (City Slang).
- SEPT. 21: Western Youth, self-titled.
- SEPT. 21: Jonathon Zemek, “Hillcrest.”