Weekend music picks: TexMex Holiday Fiesta, Tuba Christmas and more
Friday: TexMex Holiday Fiesta at ACL Live. One of the last holiday shows of the season is also one of the coolest. With Grammy-winning Tex-Mex outfit Los Texmaniacs and living-legend accordionist Flaco Jimenez at the helm, this borderland party brings in a broad horizon of possibilities thanks to a stellar cast of special guests. Expect some Free Mexican Airforce action between Jimenez and folk-bluegrass great Peter Rowan, and likely a spin through Texas Tornados/Los Super Seven territory with Augie Meyers and Rick Trevino on the bill. Johnny Nicholas, Rosie Flores and a “very special surprise guest” also are promised, for a show that will include a holiday song swap. $35-$50. 8 p.m. 310 Willie Nelson Blvd. acl-live.com. — P.B.
Friday: A Tuba Christmas at the Texas State Capitol. Looking for a way to combine family-friendly daytime revelry, musical merriment and sightseeing with out of town guests? Mosey over to the Capitol’s south steps, where more than 200 tuba players will oompah your favorite holiday classics with bass-heavy hilarity. Free. Noon to 1 p.m. 1100 Congress Ave. facebook.com/tubachristmasaustin — D.S.S.
Friday-Sunday: Armadillo Christmas Bazaar finale at Palmer Events Center. It’s the home stretch for the 42nd annual shopping and music extravaganza. Pick up last-minute gifts and hear some of Austin’s finest musicians playing two one-hour sets each. The remaining schedule: Friday is Asleep at the Wheel (7 p.m.), Shelley King (3 p.m.) and Charley Crockett (noon); Saturday is Beto & the Fairlanes (7 p.m.), Peterson Brothers Band (3 p.m.) and Nakia (noon); and Sunday is Bill Kirchen (7 p.m.), Durawa (3 p.m.) and Albert & Gage (noon). $8 admission is good for the whole day; parking in the adjacent garage is another $8. 900 Barton Springs Road. armadillobazaar.com. — P.B.
Saturday: Wagoneers all-ages holiday show at Continental Club. The anchor of live music on South Congress caters mostly to the, uh, seasoned clubgoers among us, though it has often been a launching-ground for young artists as well — including Wagoneers leader Monte Warden, who first played the place as a teenager in the 1980s. For one night each year, though, it’s open to everyone, even grade-schoolers and toddlers. The Wagoneers anchor the proceedings with their rockin’-country music, with Warden’s jazz-pop outfit the Dangerous Few also taking part, and a few special guests in the works too. $10. 7:30 p.m. 1315 S. Congress Ave. continentalclub.com. — P.B.
Sunday: Fifth annual Christmas Eve Songwriter Special at White Horse. Local country-folk-rocker Carson McHone started this free potluck and musical marathon in 2013. It’s been at the White Horse for the past three years; the music starts at 8 p.m. and runs until 2 a.m. About three dozen locals will play two songs each, including Kalu James, Jaimee Harris, Ray Prim, Marshall Hood, Jane Ellen Bryant, William Harries Graham and Corey Baum. 500 Comal St. thewhitehorseaustin.com. — P.B.
- River City Pops at Long Center Rollins Studio Theatre
- Mike Flanigin Trio with Jimmie Vaughan and George Rains at C-Boy’s
- Armadillo Christmas Bazaar with Asleep at the Wheel, Shelley King, Charley Crockett at Palmer Events Center
- Dirty White Suits, Bill Carter & the Blame at Antone’s
- Dirty River Boys, Denny Freeman at Saxon Pub
- Billy Bacon & the Forbidden Pigs, New Duncan Imperials at Sam’s Town Point
- Celtic Christmas at Saint Mary Cathedral
- A Purple Xmas Holiday Tribute to Prince, Dead Love Club at 3Ten
- ToddFamily Holiday Jam with Joe Roddy, Jack Montesinos, Kathy Kiser Benayoun, more at Monkey Nest Coffee
- Noble Dog reunion, Western Youth, Jackie Venson, Dave Scher Trio at One-2-One Bar
- Christian Bland & the Revelators, Ripe, Halfways, Jana Horn at Hotel Vegas
- Esseks, Charles the First at Empire
- Tameca Jones, Blues Specialists at Continental Club
- Tish Hinojosa at Threadgill’s North
- Kelley Mickwee at Geraldine’s
- Leo Rondeau at ABGB
- Atlas Mason, All Nighter, Whole and a Half at Mohawk indoor
- Armadillo Christmas Bazaar with Beto & the Fairlanes, Peterson Brothers Band, Nakia at Palmer Events Center
- Charlie Mars, W.C. Clark, Bobby Whitlock & CoCo Carmel at Saxon Pub
- Ulrich Ellison & Tribe 10-year anniversary at Antone’s
- Milligan Vaughan Project at One-2-One Bar
- Bukka Allen at Townsend
- Fat Tony, Hevln, Blxpltn, Blastfamous USA at Hotel Vegas
- Albert & Gage at Donn’s Depot
- Blitzens at ABGB
- Kirko Bangz, Killa Kyleon at Empire
- Lex Land Holiday Band at Geraldine’s
- Brennen Leigh, Candler Wilkinson at Sam’s Town Point
- Black Tabs, Bitter Birds at Stubb’s indoor
- Institute, Army, Temple of Angels, Disowned at Barracuda
- Armadillo Christmas Bazaar with Bill Kirchen, Durawa, Albert & Gage at Palmer Events Center
- Noel McKay birthday show at Saxon Pub
- Jon Emery Christmas gospel brunch at Threadgill’s South
- Jazz Brunch at Geraldine’s
- Candler Wilkinson, Haydon Hoodoo at Hole in the Wall