Austin360 On The Record: All ATX, Brian Pounds, Drew Kennedy
OUT THIS WEEK
Brian Pounds, “Southern Writer.” Following his 2010 debut “After You’re Gone” and the 2015 EP “Strikes and Gutters,” Pounds — who performs before Bob Schneider’s Lonelyland most Monday nights at the Saxon Pub — further establishes his presence as a rising Texas troubadour with this nine-song effort. A veteran of NBC’s “The Voice,” Pounds is an easy-to-appreciate singer, with a natural sweetness that helps richly melodic tracks such as “Mississippi Highway” and “I Swear I’m Losing You” shine. Release show Nov. 16 at Cactus Cafe. Here’s a recent live version of the album track “Odessa”:
Drew Kennedy, “At Home in the Big Lonesome.” The fourth album from the New Braunfels-based regular on the Texas country circuit tends toward a laid-back vibe and easygoing grooves. Recorded in Nashville with producer Dave Brainard, the set features 10 Kennedy originals plus an album-closing cover of Austin mainstay Walt Wilkins’ tune “Walnut Street.” Playing Dec. 12 at Gruene Hall. Here’s the video for the track “Open Road,” a song he’s called “my love letter to West Texas”:
- NOV. 9: Poly Action, “Baby’s First Rock N’ Roll,” release show Nov. 9 at Hotel Vegas.
- NOV. 17: Golden Boys, “Better Than Good Times” (12XU)
- NOV. 17: Reveleros, self-titled, release show Nov. 17 at Good Shepherd on the Hill.
- NOV. 18: Texas K.G.B., “Welcome Home,” release show Nov. 18 at Mohawk indoor.
- NOV. 22: Strahan & the Good Neighbors, “Twilight Drifter,” release show Nov. 22 at ABGB.
- NOV. 24: Sour Notes, “Darkest Sour,” release show Nov. 24 at Hotel Vegas.
- FEB. 1, 2018: Good Field, “Surface Tension.”
- FEB. 9, 2018: Jerry David DeCicca, “Time the Teacher” (Impossible Ark).
- FEBRUARY 2018: Sharks in the Deep End, EP.