A tiki bar with burger stand is a new tropical paradise near Deep Eddy Pool
Austin finally has a bar devoted solely to tiki drinks — and its island vibe and decor, along with the Pool Burger trailer, are at a swimmingly perfect location between Deep Eddy Pool and Deep Eddy Cabaret.
A partner at the dive bar, Will Bridges, has teamed up with McGuire Moorman Hospitality, the group behind lauded Austin restaurants like Clark’s Oyster Bar and Elizabeth Street Cafe, to open up Pool Burger. The concept includes a walk-up bar with indoor and outdoor seating and an accompanying burger trailer.
The trailer, an old 1968 Airstream, serves up 8 all-natural burgers with Texas-grown wagyu beef patties free of hormones and antibiotics. Pool Burger also offers crinkle-cut fries and soft-serve with toppings like Junior Mints and boozy sour cherries. There’s a kids menu, too, to entice families fresh from a dip at Deep Eddy Pool.
Pool Burger co-founder Bridges not only has a stake in Deep Eddy Cabaret. He was a driving force behind the rebirth of beloved music venue Antone’s and also helped to keep open another Austin institution, Cisco’s. His first project with the McGuire Moorman Hospitality group was Lambert’s Downtown Barbeque.
In addition to the tiki cocktails, the full bar has draft and can beer and rosé. Plus, a Pool Burger gift shop has items you might need for your day at the pool, such as towels, floaties and Yeti Ramblers, and the indoor space includes a DJ booth.
At 2315 Lake Austin Blvd., Pool Burger will be open daily: noon to 10 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, noon to midnight Fridays and Saturdays, and noon to 6 p.m. Sundays.
Here’s a look at the tiki menu, which runs between $9-$12. The first three drinks all feature lots of rum, the most common spirit in tiki drinks.
- Mai Tai: Damoiseau 110 Rhum, Hamilton Jamaican, La Favorite Rhum Agricole, orange shrub, orgeat, lime
- Zombie: Plantation OFTD rum, Hamilton Jamaican, J. Wray Overproof, lime, grapefruit, cinnamon, velvet falernum, herbsaint
- Tradewinds: El Dorado 3, Appleton Special Reserve, Giffard Apricot, lemon, coconut cream
- Saturn: Hayman’s Navy Strength Gin, passion fruit, velvet falernuum, orgeat, lemon
- Tropical Derby: Bonded bourbon, fresh pineapple, fresh mint, lemon, tiki tincture
- Bullshot: Vodka, tomato, beef buillon, lemon, Tabasco, Worcestershire, spiced salt rim, celery
- Depth Charge: Reyes y Cobardes Mezcal, tequila, grapefruit, honey, lime, Hamilton Pimento Dram
- Frozen Hurricane: El Dorado 3, J. Wray Jamaican, Plantation OFTD, passion fruit, lemon, Angostura bitters, Hamilton float
There will also be classic burgers and chef variations like the Blue Hawaiian with griddled pineapple, bacon, crumbled blue cheese and Thousand Island dressing.
- Former ‘Bar Rescue’ star to open Warehouse District bar, Academia
- Tito’s Vodka founder makes Forbes 400 list of richest people in U.S.
- Punch Bowl Social becomes first Austin bar to offer full-blown virtual reality gaming
This post has been corrected to reflect that Pool Burger has a total of eight burgers.