In our fitness-centered community, there's a race for everyone. Runners, swimmers and cyclists can look forward to events that test their skill and maximize fun. A few of the races in the area include:
- Moonlight Margarita Run. Aug. 5. Shotgun start at sunset, followed by a moonlight party with Tex-Mex food, mariachi music and margaritas at the race finish. Rain or shine. 733-3989, www.thetrailfoundation.org.
- Deep Eddy Mile. Aug. 14. Compete against your age group and gender in 53 laps across the popular outdoor pool. 327-2260, www.americanswimmingassociation.com.
- Zilker Relays. Sept. 3. Four-person teams race, jog or stroll around the perimeter of Zilker Park, with free dinner and live music afterward. 326-1600, www.zilkerrelays.com.
- World Championship of Texas 3-on-3 Swimming Tournament. Sept. 5. 3-person team, double-elimination, swimming tournament at the Jewish Community Association of Austin pool, benefiting Swimability, which provides swimming lessons for underprivileged children. 327-2260, www.americanswimmingassociation.com.
- Avia Austin Triathlon. Sept. 6. Swimming, biking and running course winds through downtown Austin, with live music and free food, drink and massages at the end. 472-5646, www.theaustintriathlon.com.
- Silicon Labs Marathon Relay. Sept. 26. A five-person marathon relay in downtown Austin. 499-8025, www.austinmarathonrelay.com.
- ASA Open Water Swimming Collegiate National Championships. Oct. 2. College students compete in a 5K race at Mansfield Dam Park in Lake Travis. 327-2260, www.americanswimmingassociation.com.
- Lake Travis Relay. Oct. 9. A six-person, 12-mile, open-water swimming relay in Lake Travis. 327-2260, www.americanswimmingassociation.com.
- IBM Uptown Classic. Oct. 17. 10K distance challenge benefiting the American Red Cross of Central Texas. 286-9247, www.uptownclassic.com.
- Tex Robertson Memorial Highland Lakes Challenge. Oct. 20-24. Only swimming stage race in the world; Five races, five lakes, five days. 327-2260, www.americanswimmingassociation.com.
- Livestrong Challenge. Oct. 22-24. Series of cycling, running and walking events benefiting the Lance Armstrong Foundation. 888-424-2553, www.livestrongchallenge.org.
- Dam 5K. Nov. 6. Compete against your age group and gender in an out-and-back race at Mansfield Dam Park in Lake Travis. 327-2260, www.americanswimmingassociation.com.
- Race for the Cure. Nov. 7. 5K run in downtown Austin benefiting the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation's Austin affiliate. 473-0900, www.komenaustin.org or e-mail email@example.com.
- Thundercloud Subs Turkey Trot. Nov. 25. Five-mile Thanksgiving Day race starts at Waterloo Park. 479-8805, www.thundercloud.com.
- 3M Half Marathon and Relay. Jan. 30. A 13.1-mile urban, mostly downhill road race from Gateway Shopping Center to Waterloo Park. 984-7223, www.3mhalfmarathon.com.
- Livestrong Austin Marathon and Half Marathon. Feb. 20. A Boston Marathon qualifier that starts in North Austin and wraps up downtown. 476-7223, www.youraustinmarathon.com.
- Statesman Capitol 10,000. March 27. The state's largest annual 10K run raises money for charities. 445-3598, www.cap10k.com or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BP MS 150. April 16-17. More than 10,000 cyclists unite for a two-day, 180-mile journey from Houston to Austin. Benefits the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. 713-526-8967, www.ms150.org.
- The Money Box Cap 2K. May 1. Swim race in Lady Bird Lake benefiting Deep Eddy Pool. 327-2260, www.cap2k.com.
- Congress Avenue Mile. May 21. The world's best milers compete in a mile stretch down Congress Avenue. 472-3254, www.congressavenuemile.com.
- Schlotzsky's 5K Bun Run. Check website for date. Fundraiser for Austin's Sunshine Camps. www.bunrun.com.
- Armadillo Hill Country Classic. Call or e-mail for date, usually in May. Austin Cycling Association's fundraiser to provide bicycle safety education and free helmets for kids. Routes are six to 100 miles long. Starts at Liberty Hill High School. www.austincycling.org or e-mail email@example.com.
- Capital of Texas Triathlon. Check website for date, usually in late May. Multiple participation levels and a chance to qualify for U.S. Triathlon Association championships. www.captextri.com.
- Danskin Women's Triathlon. Check website or call for date, usually in early June. The perfect race for the beginning triathlete. 877-221-9665, www.danskintriathlon.net.
- Keep Austin Weird 5K. Call or check website for date, usually in late June. Part of the Keep Austin Weird Festival. firstname.lastname@example.org, www.keepaustinweirdfest.com.