EVENT: Austin cocktail bar introduces Libation Bible School as new Sunday drinks series
North Loop bar Drink.Well is offering a very different sort of church gathering on certain Sundays starting this weekend.
Hosted by Drink.Well owner Jessica Sanders — one of the most knowledgeable voices in the local bar industry — as well as a roster of guest speakers, Libation Bible School is a six-part series that will focus on the history and culture behind spirits and cocktails.
The first class, on July 15, is “a crash course in cocktail history — from its origin in the 19th century to the impact of prohibition in the 20th century and the subsequent ‘dark age’ of mixology all the way to the revival experienced in the 21st century,” according to the Eventbrite page where you can buy tickets.
Libation Bible School will run on a half-dozen Sunday afternoons through October, and each educational course doubles as a booze tasting. Every $25 class includes two cocktails and a guided spirits flight. You’ll also get tips on how to recreate these drinks at home.
Here are the six Sunday classes. Want to participate in all of them? You can sign up for the whole series at a discounted price of $125.
- July 15: A (Sort Of) Beginner's Guide to Drinking Well
- July 29: On A Clear Day: Gin & Vodka Through the Lens of the Martini
- Aug. 12: R(h)um and The Aspiring Pirate's Guide to Tiki
- Aug. 26: Drink Austin Weird: Oddball Spirits & Drinks You'll Want to Order Again & Again (if only you knew what they were!)
- Sept. 16: American Whiskey 101: A Bourbon Heritage Month Celebration
- Oct. 21: The Night is Dark & Full of Terroir: A Inside Look at Agave Spirts & Cocktails
The classes run from 2 to 4 p.m. on those select Sundays, before the bar is open. Stay afterward for all-night happy hour, which will have drink specials just for Libation Bible School attendees. Drink.Well is located at 207 E. 53rd St.