Where to find Celis beers — including Celis White — in Austin before brewery opens
Austin’s first brewery is making a comeback. Celis Brewery, not yet open to the public, is offering an early taste of its beers by launching them on draft in local bars starting June 12.
These beers include the Celis White, the Belgian-style witbier that introduced the city to the idea of good local beer in 1990 and sparked demand for Celis that the brewery and its owner, Pierre Celis of Hoegaarden, struggled to meet.
But the new Celis Brewery, from his daughter Christine Celis, isn’t just reviving the old recipes. Joining the Celis White on tap this week is the Citrus Grandis IPA, in the relatively recent style of the East Coast-style IPAs (hazy, far less bitter and more juicy than their West Coast counterparts ) that have been proliferating of late.
The brewery has also been making the Celis Pale Bock, another one of Pierre’s old recipes.
Here are some of the places where you can find Celis brews around town starting today. Each bar and restaurant is hosting a launch event that will give you the chance, in some cases, to meet the brewers, a team that includes Daytona Camps, Christine’s daughter. (Celis is a true family affair.)
- Little Woodrow’s on Burnet: 4 to 7 p.m. today, with Christine Celis present
- The Growler Bar: 5 to 10 p.m. today. Pflugerville residents won’t have to go far for their Celis fix. The Garbo’s food truck will also be serving up lobster rolls.
- Whip In: 5 to 10 p.m. today, with Daytona Camps present and a limited number of gold-rimmed Celis glasses available
- Easy Tiger: 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, with Christine Celis present
- Brass Tap in Round Rock: 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday
- Easy Tiger at 365 Whole Foods: 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, with a raffle for Easy Tiger swag bags and Celis pint glasses available
- Lustre Pearl on Rainey Street, 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday
- Banger’s Sausage House & Beer Garden: 7 to 10 p.m. Thursday, with Christine Celis present
- WhichCraft Tap Room & Bottle Shop, 5 to 8 p.m. Friday
- Wright Bros. Brew & Brew, 5 to 7 p.m. Friday
- The Dig Pub, 5 to 7 p.m. June 23
- B.B. Rover’s, 6 to 9 p.m. June 23, with Christine Celis present
For a more extensive list of where Celis beers will be available this week, visit facebook.com/pg/CelisBeers/events.