Free fitness during SXSW
Editor’s note: This article was originally published March 4, 2014
SXSW isn’t all about panels, concerts and schmoozing. You can exercise, too. It might actually help you feel better through all those packed days and late nights. Check out these free fitness events …
1. SweatXSouthwest: Map My Fitness has teamed with Under Armour to bring you free morning workouts this Saturday, Sunday and Monday. All events start at the Digital Campground, 1206 W. Fourth Street, and a limited number of Armour39 performance monitors, which can be used with Map My Fitness apps, will be available for test driving at each workout.
- SweatXSouthwest Armour 3.9 Community Run - A guided 3.9-mile run through Pease Park and neighborhoods just west of Lamar Boulevard. A limited number of pairs of Under Armour Speedform Apollos shoes will be available for wear testing. For more information go to http://mmfarmour39run.splashthat.com/. Starts at 8 a.m. Saturday.
- SweatXSouthwest #IWILL Austin Boot Camp - Celebrity trainer Nate Costa leads a 45-minute full circuit training session. For more information go to http://mmfiwillbootcamp.splashthat.com/. Starts at 8 a.m. Sunday.
- SweatXSouthwest Motor Monday Ride - Borrow one of Map My Fitness’ #usemeleaveme bicycles for a guided cruise around town. For more information go to http://mmfuaadobemotormondayride.splashthat.com/. Starts at 8 a.m. Monday.
2. Group fitness: Equinox will host group fitness classes Saturday and Sunday at Fast Company Grill, aka The Cedar Door, at 201 Brazos Street. Sessions are free and open to the public, but space is limited so you must register in advance at http://austin.equinox.com/.
- Run Cross - Move through your paces with sports conditioning exercises, sprint drills and techniques, and tips to make you faster and fitter. Designed for existing athletes and runners to be who want to improve their skills and general fitness conditioning. Starts at 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Stacked - Using sandbells, transform your body with six targeted movement complexes executed for 30 seconds each. Combine two stacks with an active mobility warm up and a recovery stretch and your workout is done. Starts at 9:30 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.