Events: Black Star at Craft Pride, Maifest at Austin Saengerrunde
Whenever Austinites have wanted a pint of one of Black Star Co-op’s brews, they’ve gone to the Crestview-area pub, the only place the beers were available at. But now, thanks to the Texas legislature’s law change last year permitting brewpubs to distribute beyond their doors, Black Star beers are going to start popping up elsewhere around town. First up to get a couple taps is Rainey Street’s Craft Pride, which is throwing a special release party starting at 6 p.m. on Thursday to mark the milestone. There, try the High Esteem, an American pale ale brewed with local wildflower honey, and Vulcan, an IPA. Jeff Young, Black Star’s head brewer, will also be on hand to talk about the beer. If you can’t make the Thursday event, Black Star will be at the Whip In on Friday and the Wright Bros. Brew and Brew on Saturday.
Often referred to as “spring’s answer to Oktoberfest,” Maifest is a revered tradition in Germany and Austria, especially in countryside villages, where the ancient rite of the maypole ushers in the long-awaited spring (although here it’s already approaching blazing summer temperatures). Austin’s version at Austin Saengerrunde, 1607 San Jacinto Blvd. (next to Scholz Beer Garten), might not include a maypole, but you will find much of the same sort of fun from 1 to 7 p.m. on Saturday, with live music, food and German-style beer from many local breweries at the event. Some of the beers on hand — a $25 ticket purchased in advance gets you 10 4 oz. pours — include Austin Beerworks Heisenberg, a kristallweizen; Live Oak Brewing Schwarzbier; and Real Ale Brewing Hans Pils. Proceeds will benefit Foodways Texas.
Here’s Maifest’s full beer list:
- Austin Beerworks Heisenberg (German-style Kristallweizen)
- Circle Brewing EPIC Hop Bock (combines the styles of a German Helles Bock with an American IPA)
- Karbach Brewing Co. Love Street (a Kölsch)
- Grapevine Craft Brewery Monarch (Pale Wheat Ale)
- Hops & Grain Alt-eration Ale (German-style Altbier)
- Independence Brewing Independence Pale Ale
- Live Oak Brewing Schwarzbier (opaque black lager)
- Real Ale Brewing Hans Pils (German Pilsner)
- Pedernales Brewing Lobo Negro (Munich Dunkel Lager) & Classic Hefe-Weizen
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Summertime Wheat (Hefeweizen)
- Saint Arnold Brewing Santo (black Kölsch-style)
Also add Negroni Week to your calendar. Imbibe magazine is highlighting the negroni for the first week in June, and bars across the country create their own versions of the cocktail to benefit a charity of their choice. Local spots like Drink.Well are taking part — look for a comprehensive list of Negroni Week events later this week in Liquid Austin (as well as the June drinking calendar, of course).