Austin bars team up to help build a Habitat for Humanity house
Want to help build a home for a family in need of one? Thanks to several local bars, that’ll be easy.
The Mean Eyed Cat, Rattle Inn, Star Bar, Lavaca Street Bar, the Gibson and the Dogwood are joining forces for “The House that Bars Built,” a collaborative effort between them to raise $75,000 that will cover the cost of raising the walls on a new house for a Central Texas family. To reach that goal, they’re donating a percentage of sales throughout August to Habitat for Humanity.
Every Wednesday through Aug. 26, all of the bars but the Dogwood will donate a portion of Tito’s Vodka drinks sold to the project. Every Tuesday through Aug. 25, the Dogwood will donate 10 percent of its total sales. In addition, the bars will each host a special event in August with raffle prizes, food and drink specials, and silent auctions, with a portion of those sales going toward Habitat for Humanity. Here’s the full list of those events:
- Wednesday, Aug. 6: The Dogwood, 715 W. 6th St., is donating 20 percent of proceeds to the cause.
- Friday, Aug. 15: Lavaca Street Bar, 405 Lavaca St., is hosting a fundraiser and silent auction.
- Wednesday, Aug. 20: The Dogwood’s fourth anniversary party will also give 20 percent of proceeds to the cause.
- Thursday, Aug. 21: Star Bar, 600 W. 6th St., is having a raffle with tons of fun prizes
- Friday, Aug. 22: Rattle Inn, 610 Nueces St., is hosting some live music and more raffle prizes
- Wednesday, Aug. 27: Mean Eyed Cat, 1621 W. 5th St., is also throwing a fundraising party with prize giveaways
- Sunday, Aug. 31: The Gibson, 1109 S. Lamar Blvd, is throwing a luau with a roasted hog and drink specials.
Then, in September, employees of these bars will help break ground at the new house.