Here are five things to know about the first day of the Austin City Limits Music Festival's Weekend Two:
1. The first weekend, there was sweat. Then there was the opposite of that. Friday couldn’t have felt more different from all of the fest's first weekend, which had been seen temperatures in the mid-90s. As Weekend Two kicked off, the temperature was in the upper 40s. It is the coldest edition of the festival ever. Thanks to some light precipitation, a little bit of mud formed on parts of the Zilker Park grounds not covered with grass. The fest's signature flags whipped in the strong wind.
2. Among Weekend One's fashion trends was mesh tops. At the start of Weekend Two, festival attendees bundled up in fleece pullovers, down jackets and knit caps. Clementine Creevy of Cherry Glazerr wrapped herself in a blanket during an interview in the American-Statesman's tent. The hottest-selling items at ACL Fest's merchandise area: hoodies, long-sleeve T-shirts and blankets, according to the festival. A salesperson at the Aviator Nation booth in the ACL market said they couldn't put blankets out fast enough.
3. Crowds early in the day were a little lighter than the first weekend. However, Tennessee pop-rock act the Band Camino pulled a sizable audience to the VRBO stage, where young fans jumped and screamed the words to their songs.
4. Returning headliners were rock bands Tame Impala and Guns N' Roses. Fans of Guns N’ Roses were undeterred by the chill from camping at the front of the stage for more than seven hours until the rock legends were set to take the stage. By 12:15 p.m., the first lawn chairs had staked their ground at the American Express stage. At 12:20, about 50 people camped along the front barricade. The beer and wine were already flowing.
5. Temperatures should be a little more bearable Saturday. Teen pop phenom Billie Eilish is expected to be a huge draw again; she plays on the Honda stage as Austin guitar great Gary Clark Jr. plays across the park in the same time slot. Headliners the Cure and Childish Gambino are set to return to close out the night.