South by Southwest has announced an initial list of SXSW Comedy Festival participants and shows.
The comedy portion of this year’s festival opens March 9 with WFMU’s Dave Hill hosting, “Cavett on Comedy,” a conversation with broadcasting legend and pop icon, Dick Cavett. He’ll share stories from his nearly 60-years entwined with some of comedy greatest figures. He is also the focus of the documentary “Ali & Cavett: The Tale of the Tapes,” also playing the fest.
Also on tap:
* Comedy Central’s Corporate Retreat will celebrate the season-one finale of “Corporate,” the network’s take on cubicle life -- featuring creators Pat Bishop, Matt Ingebretson, and Jake Weisman, along with co-stars Adam Lustick, Aparna Nancherla, and Baron Vaughn.
* Joe Pera will join Jo Firestone (The Tonight Show) and Conner O’Malley (Late Night with Seth Meyers) for a showcase performance and sneak peek of his new Adult Swim, live-action comedy, "Joe Pera Talks With You.”
* Higgins and Nancherla, backed by DJ Donwill’s musical-stylings, will welcome Roy Wood Jr. and a lineup of hilarious friends to a special SXSW edition of “Butterboy.”
* Adam Pally will host Rachel Bloom and the cast of Most Likely to Murder (a SXSW Film world premiere) for an evening of music and stories about growing up.
* Upright Citizen Brigade (UCB) cofounder, Matt Besser, returns with his hit podcast improv4humans and will lead UCB’s flagship show, ASSSCAT (improv based on true tales from celebrity guests), riff on hit songs in the Sing-A-Long Comedy Experiment, and provide weed comedy for stoners and friends of stoners at The 420 Show.
* The Laugh Button returns with New York’s Gotham Comedy Club to present a lineup of favorites from the iconic club’s stage.
* Dave Hill and musician Phil Costello, as the faux black metal band Witch Taint, will read the viral email exchange that almost landed the band a real Norwegian record deal and close with a performance from Witch Taint’s terrifying catalog.
*Comic and expert impressionist, James Adomian (Bernie vs. Trump), will hold a Bernie Sanders Town Hall as the 2016 presidential hopeful. Later in the week he’ll perform his Edinburgh Fringe show, “Lacking in Character,” a critique of masculinity in our culture.
* Scott Aukerman returns with Comedy Bang! Bang! featuring an all-star lineup of actors and improvisors, and Doug Benson will record his hit game-show podcast, Doug Loves Movies.
* Renowned film historian Leonard Maltin will lead several interviews with comedic guests, including Bill Hader, for Maltin on Movies, and Dave Anthony will surprise Gareth Reynolds with historical absurdities on their wildly successful podcast, The Dollop.
* Robin Thede will tape an episode of The Randown — the companion podcast to BET’s The Rundown with Robin Thede.
* Stuart Goldsmith’s podcast, The Comedian’s Comedian, which is a bit like a British version of Marc Maron’s WTF podcast, will interview fellow performers James Davis, Ron White and others.
Here is who is booked form SXSW Comedy so far:
Adam Lustick • Adam Pally • Aparna Nancherla • Baron Vaughn • Beth Stelling • Betsy Sodaro • Bill Hader • Chris Garcia • Conner O'Malley • Dave Anthony • Dave Hill • David Gborie • Dick Cavett • Doug Benson • Gareth Reynolds • Godfrey • Horatio Sanz • Ian Abramson • Ian Karmel • Jake Weisman • James Adomian • James Davis • Jermaine Fowler • Jim Gaffigan • Jo Firestone • Joe Pera • Jon Gabrus • Lauren Lapkus • Leonard Maltin • Liza Treyger • Lynne Koplitz • Maeve Higgins • Martha Kelly • Matt Besser • Matt Ingebretson • Matteo Lane • Matthew Broussard • Monroe Martin • Nick Thune • Nick Offerman • Orlando Leyba • Pat Bishop • Rachel Bloom • Ramon Rivas • Robin Thede • Ron White • Roy Wood Jr. • Sam Morril • Scott Aukerman • Sean Patton • Stuart Goldsmith • Vanessa Gonzalez • Willie Barcena
More names are likely forthcoming.