Weekend One of the 18th Austin City Music Festival wrapped up on Sunday in Zilker Park, concluding one of the fest’s warmest weekends ever. Here are five things to know about day three, and what’s coming up for Weekend Two:
1. Kacey Musgraves and Lizzo fans came out in full force. Much like Saturday standout Billie Eilish, the two critically acclaimed artists seemed to be the names on everyone's lips Sunday. T-shirts and signs dedicated to Lizzo, a chart-topping rapper and former Houstonite, dotted the park everywhere you went. Her fans started claiming their spots at the Miller Lite stage early in the day, way before her 7 p.m. set. Similarly, bedazzled cowgirl hats moved through crowds all day, presumably in honor of Grammy-winning country star Musgraves, a former Austinite and friend of Willie Nelson.
2. Early highlights in the day included Oregon sisters trio Joseph, rapper Duckwrth and British dream-pop act the Japanese House. Late in the day, flamenco-pop sensation Rosalía, singer-songwriter Banks and 1990s rock band Third Eye Blind performed.
3. Afternoon crowds seemed a little lighter than usual, suggesting some fest-goers were waiting until things got a little cooler for headlining sets by rapper Cardi B and folk band Mumford & Sons.
4. Speaking of the heat: Sunday marked the third straight day of scorching temperatures at the fest. (Austin broke a 107-year-old record for heat when the temperature soared to 99 degrees Sunday afternoon, according to the thermometers at Camp Mabry.) A clear sky at the fest meant scattered shady spots on the grounds were at a premium. In good news for Weekend Two attendees, a cold front is set to sweep through Central Texas this week.
5. Also coming up on Weekend Two: Everything starts over on Friday, with all the headliners returning except Cardi B (in her place next Sunday will be Swedish pop star Robyn). In the meantime, several local venues will present official ACL Fest Late Night Shows, including a benefit for Waterloo Greenway at Stubb’s on Wednesday with King Princess and a Thursday gig at Antone’s with Colombian band Monsieur Perine. The “Austin City Limits” TV show gets in on the act too, taping episodes with Rosalia (Tuesday) and Billie Eilish (Friday) at ACL Live.