From a family-friendly free show along Lady Bird Lake to high-dollar concerts at marquee venues to multi-band bashes at local clubs, New Year’s Eve is always a whole lot of different parties in Austin. Here’s a look at some of the most noteworthy ways to ring in 2019 around town.
Austin’s New Year at Auditorium Shores. The city’s official shindig, an alcohol-free event, begins and ends early, starting at 3 p.m. and concluding with fireworks at 10 p.m. In between, more than a dozen Austin acts will perform on three stages. Highlights include Superfonicos (Lake Stage, 9 p.m.), Western Youth (Oak Stage, 8:30 p.m.), Nakia & the Blues Grifters (Lake Stage, 5 p.m.), Tiarra Girls (Oak Stage, 3:30 p.m.) and Midnight Butterfly (Community Stage, 7:30 p.m.). There are also children's activities, art presentations, food trucks and more. Free. 900 W. Riverside Drive. austinsnewyear.com. — P.B.
Black Pumas at Antone’s. Back in February, guitarist Adrian Quesada and singer Eric Burton stealthily launched a residency gig for their new rock and soul project at C-Boy’s. By the time they closed up shop on the last Thursday in April, the event had become the hottest party in town. The Pumas have been strategic about scheduling performances in Austin while touring and building a profile across the country. The tickets to this show aren’t cheap, but it’s a solid opportunity to catch (arguably) Austin’s biggest breakout act of the year in a classic Austin club. Hard Proof opens. $60. 9 p.m. 305 E. Fifth St. antonesnightclub.com — D.S.S.
Willie Nelson and Family New Year at ACL Live. It’s one of the pricier tickets in town, but hey, it’s Willie. Only a few scattered seats remained at press time for this annual tradition that’s so popular it runs for three nights, Dec. 29-31. The “and Family” part means not only Willie’s longtime band featuring sister Bobbie on piano, but also opening sets from his sons: Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, coming off a big year, and Particle Kid, fronted by youngest son Micah Nelson. $99-$157. 9 p.m. 310 Willie Nelson Blvd. acl-live.com — P.B.
Grupo Fantasma, Lyrics Born, Mobley, more at Empire Control Room & Garage. As far as bang for your buck, it doesn’t get much better than this. World-class cumbia funk ensemble Grupo Fantasma headlines the Garage stage and is one of the best Latin dance bands in the country. They’re joined on the bill by indie hip-hop lifer Lyrics Born. Meanwhile, pop savant Mobley plays the Control Room stage, topping a bill that includes excellent electro-groove ensemble Trouble in the Streets. $25. 8 p.m. 606 E. Seventh St. empireatx.com — D.S.S.
Texas Gentlemen, Carson McHone, Croy and the Boys, Ramsay Midwood, more at Spider House Ballroom. A Dallas act with lots of local connections, New West Records band the Texas Gentlemen play roots-based, jam-friendly music that’s made for this kind of holiday throwdown. Among the Americana-leaning locals joining in are McHone, whose new album got year-end kudos from Rolling Stone; Croy and the Boys, set to release their second album in 2019; and Midwood, the king of Sam’s Town Point. Rounding out the bill are Mrs. Glass, Think No Think, Big Wy’s Brass Band and Wil Cope. $25-$35. 7 p.m. 2908 Fruth St. spiderhouse.com — P.B.
New Year’s Eve 2001 at Hotel Vegas. The east side hot spot’s creative take on the holiday is to celebrate a different era from the past every year. This time around it’s 2001, which means music from the Strokes, the White Stripes, Outkast, Britney Spears, Jimmy Eat World and others featuring members of local bands Sweet Spirit, Moving Panoramas, Residual Kid, Go Fever, Sailor Poon, Tinnarose and many more. $40. 7 p.m. doors. 1502 E. Sixth St. texashotelvegas.com — P.B.
Body Rock ATX: NYE Playa’s Ball at Sahara Lounge. Enter the temple of “Booty Sweat” and dance away your regrets so you can start 2019 feeling spiritually refreshed. $20 ($40 with sparkling wine bottle). 10 p.m. doors. 1413 Webberville Road. saharalounge.com — D.S.S.
Here’s a quick rundown of a dozen more notable New Year’s Eve shows:
• Black Angels, Holy Wave, Dallas Acid at Mohawk outdoor. $35-$60. 7 p.m. doors. 912 Red River St. mohawkaustin.com
• Bob Schneider, Billy Harvey at Paramount Theatre. $35-$100. 9 p.m. 713 Congress Ave. austintheatre.org
• Cosmic Disco NYE with Golden Dawn Arkestra, Heart Bones, Hikes, Reputations, Smiile at Barracuda. $50-$60. 8 p.m. doors. 611 E. Seventh St. barracudaaustin.com
• Lettuce, Bobby Sparks at Emo’s. $49.50. 8 p.m. doors. 2015 E Riverside Drive. emosaustin.com
• Mike Flanigin Trio with Jimmie Vaughan & George Rains at C-Boys. $44. 8 p.m. 2008 S. Congress Ave. cboys.com
• Tomar & the FCs, Peterson Brothers at Continental Club. $27. 9:30 p.m. 1315 S. Congress Ave. continentalclub.com
• Mike & the Moonpies, Jonathan Terrell. Cory Johnson at White Horse. Free. 8 p.m. 500 Comal St. whitehorseaustin.com
• Saved by the Ball 2 with DJ Girlfriend, DJ Big Daddy B at Cheer Up Charlies. $5-$7. 9 p.m. 900 Red River St. cheerupcharlies.com
• A Yacht Rock New Year’s Eve with Heavy Mellow at Stay Gold. $10. 9 p.m. 1910 E. Cesar Chavez St. staygoldaustin.com
• An Evening of Led Zeppelin (tribute band) & Ain’t Wastin’ Time (Allman Brothers tribute) at One-2-One Bar. $20-$25. 9 p.m. 1509 S. Lamar Blvd. one2onebar.com
• Nightowls at Stubb’s indoor. $65 (includes barbecue buffet, champagne toast). 9 p.m. 801 Red River St. stubbsaustin.com
• NYE Party on the Lake with Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears at P6 at the Line. $125. 9 p.m. 111 Cesar Chavez St. thelinehotel.com