It’s here, sports, uh, superherofans: The teaser trailer to next year’s “Avengers: Infinity War,” the first of two movies that will wrap up the arc of Disney/Marvel movies that started way back in 2008 with “Iron Man.”
Now, let’s talk about what we’ve just seen:
* We know that heroes will live and heroes will die. A whole lot of contracts are up. Specifically those of Chris Evans (Captain America), Mark Ruffalo (Hulk), Robert Downey (Iron Man), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Chris Hemsworth (Thor) and Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye).
* Everyone involved has said that the next wave of movies (as in, those after Avengers 4, which will follow “Infinity War” in 2019, will be “completely different.”)
* In that spirit, it’s hard not to look at this and think the directors, Joe and Anthony Russo said, “Yeah, Chris Evans, keep the hipster beard, it’s fine” and “Sure, Scarlett, you can be blonde, whatever, it’s the last blast for all of you people”
* Speaking of hipster, I would like to know more about Star-Lord’s sweet ‘stache.
* So, the bad guy: That would be the “mad Titan” Thanos, who looks like much less of a purple thumb with his awesome helmet.
*Thanos was created by Jim Starlin as a rather direct response to Jack Kirby’s Darkseid over at DC. Darkseid is the (currently-off-screen) big bad over in the Justice League movies. Which is a good reminder than much of BOTH billion dollar franchises (almost all of Marvel and some of SC) comes right out of Jack Kirby’s brain.
* Thanos also seems to have picked up both the "space” Infinity Stone (aka the Tesseract) and the “power” stone (last seen in “Guardians of the Galaxy”). The goal is to get all the stones, put them in the Infinity Gauntlet and gain the ability to rewrite reality.
RELATED: Jack Kirby rules everything around me (and you)
* The idea of the Vision with hair is SUPER DISCONCERTING.
* I love it that New York just keeps getting invaded over and over. Aliens don’t care about Los Angeles? Or London? Or Dubai?
* Seriously, someone please get Thanos his helmet.
* Is that Proxima Midnight throwing a spear?!?!?!?
* Spider-Man is rocking some Spider-Armor-looking outfit and I am not completely feeling it.
* Chadwick Boseman knows how to say, “...and get this man a shield.” (And a lot of this seems to take place in Wakanda, which makes sense given that “Black Panther” is coming out Feb. 16, mere months before the May 4 “Infinity War” release date.)
RELATED: Ethical conflicts power “Captain America: Civil War”
* Speaking of, let’s talk about Chris Evans as Capt. America in this thing. As of the end of “Captain America: Civil War,” he is an outlaw, loyal to "nothing....except the Dream.”
From Daredevil #233 by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli. Excuse me, I have something in my eye.
He’s got longer hair, he’s got a black (or very dirty) uniform -- it’s a look that is very pirate-of-freedom. But he is still framed as the leader, the moral lodestar.
* So.... who do you think’s gonna die?