This week, we say goodbye to a true Austin legend, the American-Statesman’s longtime humor columnist John Kelso. Reporter Ben Wear, who was Kelso’s friend and who wrote the beloved writer’s obituary, joins the podcast to discuss Kelso’s legacy with co-hosts Omar L. Gallaga and Tolly Moseley
In a staff-on-staff segment, Addie speaks with Raising Austin columnist Nicole Villalpando about back-to-school shopping tips. Did you know you shouldn’t be looking for big sales on tax-free weekend?
Separately, Addie speaks with Alissa Weldon from Well+Done Design about her life’s journey and personal branding in a coffee-with segment.
On the Webb Report, Eric Webb reveals the sketchy results of an OKCupid survey about the best bathroom in Austin in which to... uh... have relations. Hey, it wasn’t OUR survey!
And as always, A Toast recommendations are dispensed. Give a listen!
- John Kelso’s columns, his obituary from Ben Wear and what Austin readers have been saying since his death.
- Back-to-school articles on the Raising Austin blog.
- You can find Alisa Weldon at Well+Done Design.
- Eric Webb’s report on OKCupid’s “Best Austin bathroom for sex.” Ewwww, you guys.
- Toast picks: Heather Havrilesky’s book “How to be a Person in the World” and “Master of None” Season Two.
- Our cold open was Richard Weiss. You can celebrate his birthday Saturday, Aug. 5 at The Highball at a tribute to “Hedwig” and Van Halen.
- How to contact us and more info on the podcast.
- Want to leave a voice mail instead we can use on the show? Call 512-445-3672.