Girl Scout cookie season, the reason we all abandon our New Year’s goals of eating well, is about a week away.
And this year, we really won’t be able to fend off ordering a box or two because the Girl Scouts of Central Texas are pairing up the cookies with beer at one North Austin brewery. Circle Brewing has teamed up with the Central Texas chapter to deliver perhaps the sweetest beer pairing of all on Jan. 20.
For $20, you’ll get to try five of the eight cookie and beer pairings at Circle — and buy a box or two from a booth the Girl Scouts will have set up, as well as Circle cans, so that you can replicate the pairings many more times at home.
The pairing has been in the works for awhile. The Girl Scouts of Central Texas reached out to Circle looking for a local brewery they could pair up with to spread the word about their new cookie locator app, which will make it that much easier for us to feed our Thin Mints addiction. (Or Caramel Delites or Shortbreads or any of the other cookies you might think is the best. But Thin Mints, hands down, tops them all.)
“In order to create the pairings, they gave us boxes of all of the cookie varieties in September,” Alexa Gonzalez Wagner, marketing director at Circle, said. “We got to eat our weight in cookies in advance of cookie season and make sure the beers and cookies really complemented each other.”
Here’s what Circle came up with, in what was no doubt a deliciously difficult task.
- Peanut Butter Sandwich + Alibi Blonde: The peanut butter richness of this cookie is balanced out by this crisp, easy-drinking beer.
- Girl Scout S'mores + Lady Bird American IPA: Marshmallows and hops are a strange combination. But apparently an irresistible one.
- Thanks-A-Lot + Envy Amber: The caramel and dried fruit notes in Envy are a worthy match for the chocolate dipped shortbread cookie.
- Lemonades + Blur Hefe: Both the beer and the cookie have bright citrus notes, a harmonious similarity.
- Thin Mints + Tuxedo Tshirt Black IPA: The crisp mint and chocolate notes of the classic cookie round out this hop-forward dark beer.
- Shortbread + Falkor Wit: There’s not much to say about this combination other than that it’s just a nice, clean and easy pairing — you couldn’t want for more.
- Peanut Butter Patties + Party Pig Imperial Porter: Both are rich and delicious, so as the beer name suggests, you should be ready to pig out on this one.
- Caramel deLites + Pacific Jade Dry-Hopped Saison: The tropical pineapple notes of the Pacific Jade hops in the beer shine when harmonizing with the coconut in the cookie.
The Girl Scout S’mores cookie is the most recent addition. I’m not saying it will overcome Thin Mints in belovedness because that’s just not possible, but the official Girl Scout website is touting it as “the most popular flavor to launch in the 101 years of Girl Scouts selling cookies.” We’ll just have to see about that.
In any case, get your tickets to the Girl Scout cookies and beer pairing, taking place from 1 to 4 p.m. on Jan. 20, at this link. Circle is located at 2340 W. Braker Ln. Ste. B.
- Circle Brewing plans to open a destination brewery east of Austin
- Get to know Austin’s breweries, distilleries and more in the Austin360 Boozery Guide
- Celebrate 100 years of the Girl Scout cookie