A new canned cold brew from Cuvée Coffee won’t just have the boost of caffeine in it.
The locally based coffee roaster has added 10 mg of odorless, tasteless and water-soluble cannabidiol (CBD) hemp oil to its latest product, Nitro Hemp Oil Cold Brew. Hemp oil is derived from a varietal of the cannabis sativa plant, just like hemp’s more well-known cousin, marijuana.
Unlike marijuana, hemp has only tiny amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the chemical that gets you high, but it does have more CBD, a substance that is increasingly regarded as having medical benefits.
With the new cold brew — releasing on April 20 at Cuvée’s East Sixth Street coffee bar— Cuvée aims to combine “the functional benefits of hemp oil with the power of caffeine,” according to a press release.
Want the hemp oil in more than just the cold brew? Cuvée Coffee partnered with California-based Natural Plant Extracts USA to prepare a hemp oil product specific for cold brew, and it’s something that customers of the coffee shop can now add to any drink order for an additional $2.50.
On April 20 (which doubles as 4/20, a day marijuana advocates celebrate), the launch party for Cuvée’s latest offering will have free samples, happy hour pricing and a Q&A with a representative from Natural Plant Extracts so you can learn about hemp and CBD, among other activities.
“While the exact health benefits of CBD hemp oil are still being researched, this new product is the brainchild of our owner, Mike McKim,” the Facebook event reads. “Mike believes the high caffeine content in cold brew paired with the health benefits of hemp oil can improve your mood, keep you alert and focused, aid physical performance and recovery as well as provide antioxidant qualities.”
Hemp and products containing hemp — which have been on the rise lately as the benefits of CBD and medical marijuana have begun to be recognized — are completely legal in all 50 states because they lack discernible amounts of THC. Some of the things you’ll see now? Los Angeles bartenders are incorporating CBD oil in their drinks, and on a local level, Texas’ first CBD-infused honey is on the market.
Cuvée Coffee’s new cold brew is one of the first hemp oil-infused coffee products in the country, according to McKim.
There are other 4/20-themed events happening in Austin this weekend — no pot involved. These include
- Independence Brewing’s release of their first double IPA, Highboy. To celebrate, the East Austin brewery is screening stoner comedy “Friday.” Attendees will receive a complimentary bowl of Cap’n Crunch at the beginning of the film, as well as enjoy hot dogs, popcorn, hop-brownies, and beer like Highboy and the Stash IPA.
- Top Notch Hamburgers is hosting its annual “Dazed and Confused” movie night with giveaways, raffle prizes, live music, and food and drink specials. Top Notch, as you might know, was featured in the Richard Linklater film 25 years ago.
- Oskar Blues Brewery will bring back its 4:20 Smoke Out Crawfish Boil that will have live music, plenty of munchies, a hop-joint rolling contest and more — and, of course, the festivities will kick off at 4:20 p.m.
- Pinthouse Pizza’s Hazed & Confused IPA is a tribute to one of Austin’s favorite films
- In Texas, crowlers ruled legal after Cuvee Coffee, TABC court battle
- Coffee or beer? At South Austin’s Cosmic, you can have both