Some restaurant dining rooms in Austin have started to reopen after closing amid the coronavirus pandemic. Now it’s the bars’ turn.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Monday announced that the state’s bars will be allowed to reopen Friday at 25% capacity, under strict safety conditions. Patrons at bars will not be allowed to order at the bar or linger in common areas and can only receive service while seated at a table. Tables can seat a maximum of six people and will be required to be spaced six feet apart, and guests are required to keep the same distance from other groups in a bar’s common areas. Dancing is discouraged.
Wine tasting rooms, brewery taprooms and any establishment licensed by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission and not considered a restaurant can reopen at limited capacity under the order.
We’re keeping a list of bars in the Austin area that plan to reopen May 22 or soon after. Know of one we missed? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reopening May 22
• The Broken Spoke, Austin’s iconic South Lamar Boulevard honky tonk
• Wonder Bar at Rock Rose in Domain Northside
• The Brass Tap at the Domain
• All of the local bars owned by Bob Woody, including downtown spots Buckshot, the Ranch, Buford’s, the Blind Pig Pub and Shakespeare’s Pub
• South Austin Beer Garden on Menchaca Road, according to a Facebook post
• Icenhauer’s on Rainey Street
• Sellers Underground on West Fourth Street
• P6, the rooftop bar at the Line Hotel, according to Eater Austin
• The Tipsy Alchemist on Rainey Street, according to Eater Austin
• The Iron Bear on West Sixth Street
• Celis Brewery’s taproom will reopen May 22
• Friends and Allies Brewery will reopen its indoor and patio spaces, according to Eater Austin
• Half Step on Rainey Street, according to Eater Austin
• Hops & Grain Brewing will reopen its tasting room with reservations only on May 22
• Parker Jazz Club will reopen with reservations only May 22, according to Eater Austin
• Campus-area Posse East will reopen its outdoor area
• Cedar Park’s Red Horn Brew will reopen its outdoor area
• Driftwood brewery Vista Brewing will reopen its beer garden by reservation only
• Crow Bar on South Congress Avenue
• Moontower Saloon on Menchaca Road
• Local adult establishments including the Yellow Rose, the Landing Strip, Palazio Men’s Club, XTC Cabaret, Chicas Bonitas and Foxy’s Cabaret announced via social media that they will reopen May 22.
• Lavaca Street Bar (downtown, South Lamar Boulevard and Rock Rose in Domain Northside locations)
• Mean Eyed Cat on West Fifth Street
• Lala’s Little Nugget on Justin Lane
• Stagger Lee on Rainey Street
• Star Bar on West Sixth Street
• The Wheel on East Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard
• Gibson Street Bar on South Lamar Boulevard
• DuMont’s Down Low on West Fourth Street
• Draught House Pub & Brewery on Medical Parkway is reopening its outdoor bar area
• The two Austin locations of the Dogwood (one on West Sixth Street, one at Rock Rose in Domain Northside) will reopen soon but have not announced a date.
• Warehouse Billiard Bar on East Ben White Boulevard will reopen May 26
• Violet Crown Social Club on East Sixth Street will reopen June 1
• Mugshots on East Seventh Street will reopen June 1
• The Hideout Pub on North MoPac Expressway will reopen June 1
• Drinks Lounge on East Cesar Chavez Street will not reopen May 22 but aims for a couple weeks after
MORE FROM AUSTIN360
Bars can open Friday, but most Austin music venues to remain closed for now
PHOTOS: Austin bars prepare to reopen from coronavirus closures
Shady Grove on Barton Springs Road closes permanently after 28 years in Austin