Dr. Beach, aka Stephen P. Leatherman, just released his famous Top 10 Beaches list for the year.
And once again, it snubs the Lone Star State.
Leatherman is an internationally known coastal scientist who has published 20 books and hundreds of scientific articles and reports about storm impacts, coastal erosion and ways to improve beach health and safety. His list, which has been published since 1991, evaluates beaches based on 50 criteria such as water and sand quality and safety and management.
This year’s No. 1 pick is Siesta Beach in Sarasota, Florida, which Leatherman said has “the finest, whitest sand in the world, which attracts sand collectors and beach lovers from all over. The clear, clean waters along this gently-sloping beachface make for ideal swimming.”
Beaches in Hawaii, New York, California, South Carolina, North Carolina and Massachusetts were also included. Our own South Padre Island, Galveston, Port Aransas, Rockport and Corpus Christi were noticeably absent. Below you’ll find Leatherman’s complete list for 2017; we’ll keep our fingers crossed that a Texas spot will make the cut next year.
Here’s Dr. Beach’s 2017 Top 10 Beaches list:
1. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, Florida
2. Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii
3. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
4. Grayton Beach State Park, Florida Panhandle
5. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
6. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
7. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
8. Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
9. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina]]