This post is certainly more of a public service announcement than it is hard news. But something scary has happened to someone in our community, and I feel compelled to share the information in hopes that this message may reach someone who can help resolve a potentially dangerous situation.
On Tuesday at Z’Tejas in Avery Ranch (10525 W Parmer Ln.), a server was cleaning after guests had paid and left when he got pricked by a hypodermic needle presumably left behind by a guest.
After reaching out to staff and guests, management has been unable to determine the provenance of the needle, and they have no description of the possible guest. The server has 72 hours to find out if the owner of the needle was infected with HIV. In that window (which is rapidly closing) one can begin a 28-day course treatment to mitigate the risk of HIV infection. The treatment is not easy and has serious side effects and no guarantee.
The server plans to begin treatment today, but he can stop at any point. Z’Tejas is doing all they can to find out who might have left the hypodermic needle. They want to know purely for the health of their employee.
Anyone with any information is asked to please contact Z’Tejas human resources director Kristy Todd at 480-612-6384.