WTF?! As in, where’s the fun? We’re teaming up with 104.9 The Horn FM to hook you up with the answers. You can listen live to the WTF segment every Wednesday from 9 to 10 a.m. Central Time at 104.9 during mornings with Erin and Bucky. You’ll hear Austin360 Host Serena Hicks' "six pack" – her six picks for the upcoming week – plus insights and interviews with Austin American-Statesman journalists!
?Six Pack for Oct. 3, 2018
?Check out these six cool, local-brewed picks for this week, and check back every Wednesday for a fresh new pack. You’re welcome.
1. Do you like to laugh? Are you sure? Then this pick is for you. Steve Martin and Martin Short, try saying that three times fast, are holding court on stage at Bass Concert Hall this Thursday, or Friday, at 7:30pm. Bass Concert Hall just added the Friday night option so we can all get our laugh on. Lucky us! Guests can expect to be entertained with a mash-up of both Martins performing some stand-up comedy, singing some songs and sharing stories about their lives in show business. Basically, you can expect some good old fashioned fun that comes complete with the award winning bluegrass band, the Steep Canyon Rangers and Jeff Babko, the jazz pianist from Jimmy Kimmel Live's band. Tickets start at $85. www.TexasPerformingArts.com Click HERE for a LOL reminder of how funny Steve Martin and Martin Short are together (seen there in the classic movie Father of the Bride, because I 'heart' you.
2. My family friendly pick doubles as a date night done right: The Texas Renaissance Festival is happening and invites you to "Put some Huzzah in your weekend!". They officially opened up their festivities last weekend, and will run every Saturday and Sunday through November 25th, but this weekend is Extra Special as it has a theme of Dreams per the presenting sponsor - Topdog Halloween Madness. It should be even more interesting than usual. As ever you can meander around the 55 acre village eating all of the things, getting your face painted, shopping the 350 shops, stop to engage in some games of skill or enjoy some human powered rides. There are hundreds of costumed performers entertaining, artisans and craftspeople. And, again, it's a great weekend option every Friday and Saturday with it's final day being the Friday after Thanksgiving! Get all the details you want at www.TexRenFest.com
3. This pick is for my golf fiend friends; Friday October 5th at 5pm until Sunday October 7th, Deep Eddy Vodka presents a putt putt themed party that could be a great pre-game for your ACL adventures, right there at Butler Park. They're calling it a Chip and Sip party, offering a chance to win a pair of ACL weekend two tickets, photo opps, swag and complimentary cocktails, red bull and waterloo sparkling water drinks. Must be 21 or older to attend. You can RSVP or find out more HERE.
4. Speaking of 21 and older events. The Austin Margarita Festival is coming! This is one of those get your tickets now (before they sell out) picks, as the event isn't until Saturday October 20th. It's actually happening in the parking lot of my Austin360/Austin American-Statesman offices on the East side of S Congress Avenue, just south of Town Lake. Guests must be 21 or older, and can look forward to sampling over 20 margarita flavors such as the Grapefruit Groupie, the Jalapeno Pepper and the Bourbon St. Hurricane margaritas. There will be tons of food options, live music, a plethora of margaritas and the beautiful Austin skyline in the background. Get more information or your tickets before they sell out at www.AustinMargaritaFestival.com
5. For my fit folks, the Bubble Run Austin 5k foot race, complete with bubbles happens this Saturday at 8am at the Travis Country Fairgrounds (aka the Travis County Expo Center at 7311 Decker Lane. It's a family friendly 5k that asks walkers and dancers to keep to the right, to make way for the serious competitors who will be running fast on the left. The highlight of course is that there are apparently "bubble bombs" along the way. There's a rolling start for safety and comfort. Kids are welcome. Photo opps, post race food and friends abound. www.BubbleRun.com to get registered for a good clean fun run!
6. And finally, my brunch pick of the week is Holy Roller which is downtown and truly a glorious hot mess of a brunch scene. It's plush. Parking sucks. But the food is so so so so so worth it. They're at 509 Rio Grande (in between West 6th and West 5th) and their brunch menu includes all sorts of OMG food options, my favorite being the Grilled Cheesus which is, of course, a grilled cheese made with american, mozzarella, cheddar, avocado and a tomato jam. They have killer salads, Vegan AND Gluten Free options (not to mention a killer cocktail menu) so all of your group can look forward to an over the top, but still fun, brunch experience. www.HolyRollerAustin.com .