1. Date Night Done Right: the movie Crazy Rich Asians doesn’t officially open until next Wednesday 8/15, HOWEVER, early screenings have the internet a flutter with pretty much everyone saying this movie is the best romantic comedy in a decade – AND GUYS – it’s a showcase for over the top 1% of Singaporean wealth so whether you care about a great story line or not, there should be a bazillion beauty shots of exotic cars, sick parties and whatever else it is billionaires throw money at. The movie is based off of the book – of the same name – written by Kevin Kwan who actually grew up in Texas. Alamo Drafthouse is doing an EARLY Black Tie screening (so fun to dress up to watch all of this fancy pants stuff on screen!), however it is probably sold out already. Click HERE To see if they’ve added shows or a miracle is waiting for you. Otherwise I’d suggest buying tickets to the Crazy Rich FEAST (where Alamo serves you a three course meal with three corresponding cocktails on Tuesday August 21st, OR if your woman like to be first to know or first to see the latest pop culture icon – grab tickets for 8/15 or later as they are ALREADY selling out. www.drafthouse.com
2. While we’re on the "get your tickets before they sell out topic" Austin Pet’s Alive will host their 7th Annual no kill fundraiser on September 22nd. This will also sell out so grab your tickets for $75 – or go VIP for $150. This event celebrates over 60,000 animal lives saved over the 10 years APA has been connecting people with their pets. If you’d like to become a sponsor of the party – or grab your tickets – head over to www.austinpetsalive.org
3. Also tonight, Wednesday 8/8/18, my most family friendly pick is brought to you by Slow Food Austin; A Tasting Tour with Texas Farmers’ Market – at the Mueller Farmer’s market – from 7pm to 8pm. Fun fact: The Mueller and Lakeline Texas Farmers’ Markets are the only verified farmers’ markets in town as all agricultural producer are inspected by staff to understand both the growing practices used and to ensure transparency to the consumers. For more information check out www.texasfarmersmarket.org/events
4. Best of the Best Voting – because who in Austin doesn’t love supporting their favorite business? The Best of the Best is just that – a chance for Austinites to vote for their favorite eateries, places to grab a drink, shops, service providers etc. etc. You can vote for yours at www.Statesman.com/Contest - we’re in the second round of voting – until this Friday August 10th. After these votes are tallied (and we’ve had over 200k votes come in already so thank God for automated systems) the top 3 finalists in each category will be invited out to a fancy pants party we throw to celebrate Austin’s Best of the Best. That event will be Sept. 27th. Don’t dilly dally and get your votes in for your favorites!
5. Your Sunday just got CHILL… post partying or pre-errands, "Chill Beats" is a monthly DJ event focusing on downtempo (i.e. CHILL) future jazz, trip-hop, lounge, chillout, and ambient music. This is happening at the FAREGROUND which is that rad recently gussied up spot at 111 Congress Ave. (aka NE corner of Congress and Caesar Chavez) where you can lounge on the gloriously green grass under the shade of a massive tree, or in the courtyard area. FAREGROUND has food offerings from Antonelli’s Cheese Shop, Contigo Fareground, Dai Due Taqueria, Easy Tiger, Henbit, Ni-Kome AND the Fareground Bar. No cover to attend. 11am – 2pm. DJAlchemy and The Reverend Kathy Russell are spinning. More details are at www.facebook.com/ChillBeats and/or at www.Instagram.com/ChillBeatsATX
6. Austin Writer’s Roulette is a monthly theme-inspired adult spoken word and storytelling event – happening this Sunday Funday from 4pm to 6pm at Malvern Books at 613 W. 29th Street. Basically it’s a poetry slam but for writers – who submit 1200 words or so – and read them on stage. This month’s theme is Why Do You Do What You Do which, I believe, leaves the door WIDE OPEN for comedic responses. Submit your piece for approval by emailing email@example.com or just show up at the event and sign up for the open mic portion.
7. BONUS – and sort of a no brainer: KOKEFEST THIS WEEKEND. I’ll be there and with a line up that includes Koe Wetzel, along with Josh Abbott, and Whiskey Myers… rain or shine I’m expecting the adventure to be #worthit.