Editor’s note: This article was originally published December 31, 2013
A little fitness, a little outdoorsiness, a little personal improvement - that’s my kind of resolution list. Here are my goals for 2013. What’s on your list?
1. Make fire. Ever since I covered an extreme survival race a few months ago, I’ve decided I need to learn how to build a fire. On my own. In the woods. It’s a skill that could come in handy while backpacking, don’t you think?
2. More yoga. I’m stressed. I’m stiff and sore. I need some time to think. Om…
3. 100 fly. OK, this was on my list last year and I didn’t make it. Maybe 2014 is my year to swim a 100 butterfly without stopping. (Chris, Dale, Shawn, Kathleen, can you help?)
4. Worry less; relax more.
5. PR. I set a handful of personal records and for the first time ever won my age group in a couple of small running races last year. Can I do it again?
6. Be a duck. My vow - let the bad stuff roll off my back, like water off a duck. I get taught this one over and over. This time I’m listening.
7. Run with scissors. Take a few risks, don’t worry about what other people think, embrace life. Just keep the blades pointed toward the floor.
8. Above all, enjoy life, family and friends. You never know when they’ll be gone.