The Alamo Drafthouse has announced the newest wines in their signature series.
The first pair of limited edition wines came out back in January 2012. Based off the Princess Bride, there were two varietals in the "Bottle of Wits" line — the "Inconceivable Cab," and the "As You Wish White," both of which were sourced from the Terravant Winery in Santa Barbara County, California.
The new wines, inspired by "The Silence of the Lambs," are "The Cannibal Chianti" and "Suit Yourself Pinot Grigio."
"Even before we launched the "Bottle of Wits" series last year, we knew we had to reference what is in my opinion the most iconic wine moment in movie history, Hannibal Lecter’s now famous food pairing advice," said Alamo CEO and Founder Tim League in the press release.
I went to the preview event to check them out this week, since I never did manage to try out the Bottle of Wits series. There was something uncanny about snacking on chicken livers with a soft Chianti while Hannibal Lecter utters one of the most notorious lines in film history on the big screen.
Hannibal Lecter’s Cannibal Chianti was produced in Italy, in a vineyard betwen Florence and Sienna. 85% of the blend comes from Sangiovese, and the other 15% is composed of "smaller contributions" of Canaiolo and Malvasia del Chianti. The medium-bodied wine had more sweet fruit personality than the dry, tobacco and spice profile I had expected. I wanted a bit more complexity and a longer, more prominently dry finish.
The Suit Yourself Pinot Grigio, a play on the Buffalo Bill character, is a 2012 vintage blend with grapes coming from California’s central coast and inland vineyards. The fruity and floral flavors take precedence in this overly sweet white. Bright peach was the most prominent flavor I could pick out. The tasting notes provided from the Drafthouse also lists tangerine, orange blossom, Mexican limes and honey. The bottom line with the Pinot Grigio is that it’s a big fruity, sweet wine.
Both wines, which are quite approachable, will be featured with a special Silence of the Lambs feast on June 19. Alamo Drafthouse Austin Market Chef Trish Eichelberger developed a four-course themed menu to go with the wines for the screening. When I went through the tasting at the media preview, I decided that while I might not order the wines on their own, they paired very well with the food.
If you don’t make it to the feast, the wines will be available at all Alamo Locations for the next year for on average, $8 a glass and $32 a bottle, and also available for purchase online.