Before the 2015 X games get underway, take a look back at the highlights from 2014, the first year in which Austin welcomed the 20-year-old sporting extravaganza. Despite high heat and high humidity, it was one of the biggest ever games.
• First, if you’re new to X Games, check out our “A to X: Everything you need to know about the X Games” interactive.
Photos: Best of X Games Austin 2014
• You can relive the action with our “stoked” writers’ recaps of their top five moments from the 2014 X Games.
• 2014 also saw the debut of Stadium Super Trucks, much to the crowd’s delight.
• As for hometown pride, in 2014 Austinite Chase Hawk took home the gold in BMX park while local rock star Gary Clark Jr. brought the heat during his X Games musical performance. Music giants Kanye West, Pretty Lights and the Flaming Lips were also featured on the X Games music lineup.
• At an estimated 160,000, Austin’s 2014 crowd was the biggest X Games crowd in ten years.
We hope you’re ready, because the X Games will be back before you know it (tomorrow!). In addition to competitions between 215 athletes from 20 countries and 26 states,Metallica, Nicki Minaj, Talib Kweli and Austin favorites Bright Light Social Hour are set to perform this year.]]