The Linkdown is excited about "Statesman Shots" a new podcast hosted by Omar Gallaga and Tolly Moseley, which started life as a pilot project on the Digital Savant blog. Now "Shots" has its own blog and will be posting new audio and video weekly! The topic of technology is sure to come up, as it did on last week's episode in a segment about the Internet of Things. We also talked about what might be worse than Austin's cedar problem (such as tattoo removal, pictured above). Please check it out.
Here are some upcoming local tech events and stuff on the web you should be checking out:
Local tech events:
- Microsoft Store at The Domain is hosting an ongoing "Madden 25" tournament.
- SXSW Austin Community Meetup on Monday.
- Women Who Code: Cookies and Coding on Monday.
- ShipStation hosting an open house Tuesday night.
- Digital Learning Day Wednesday at East Austin College Prep.
- Next Juegos Rancheros meetup is on Thursday.
- Austin High Tech Happy Hour is on Thursday.
- Dragon Innovation Hardware Hangout with Scott Miller on Thursday.
- Next SXSW Interactive registration deadline is Friday.
- Next BASHH is on Feb. 13.
- The deadline to nominate someone for a Statesman Social Media Award (S'SMAckies) is Feb. 14.
- Tickets are on sale for Rooster Teeth's RTX 2014 convention, which takes place July 4-6.
- Capital Factory, Silverton Partners and Floodgate are offering matching funds to the tune of $150,000 for Cap Factory incubator startups.
- Austin Phoenix February issue release party on Feb. 28. Cover story features Austin's Atlas Wearables.
- St. Edward's hosts a March 9 conversation on entrepreneurship education.
- ATX Hack for Change has already been scheduled for May 31-June 1.
Good reads and links:
- Google sold Motorola this week but kept many of the patents.
- Perhaps too late, Blizzard released an infographic about "World of Warcraft."
- A beer-delivering drone was grounded by the FAA. Sadly.
- Amazon may increase the price of its Prime service.
- CapMetro has a new app.
- Austin art director and mobile photographer Matt Crump featured on Totally Rad's website.
- Automated paintball art fun with Austin's Waterloo Labs.
- Forgotify, a tool to listen to millions of Spotify tracks nobody has yet heard.
- Radio Shack stepped out of the '80s for its Super Bowl commercial.
- While Microsoft tried to make us cry.
- Austin Technology Council is moving downtown.
- Google Grant announced for tech education aimed at young women.
- Zynga lays off 15 percent of its staff, buys another company.
- Is Oculus Rift the future of movies as well as games?
- Facebook's new "Paper" app is a slick news reader.
- Info on the documentary, "The Internet's Own Boy: The Aaron Swartz Story."
- RIP Internet cat celebrity Colonel Meow.
- Weather Center Houston and State Farm have a new StormNav mobile site and apps. (PDF)
- Some info on the new NFL Now digital network, which offers personalized video clips.
- "Selfie" goes from a word of the year to a potential sitcom.
- Central Texas Gun Works now accepts Bitcoin.
- Uber facing lots of problems right now.
- Speaking of which, DriveSavers was able to recover some Bitcoins off a bad disk.
- A new $130 model of the OUYA console is available with more memory and a black matte finish.
- Oscar nomination lost over email mistake.
- A look at John Carmack, maker of the first first-persons shooter.
- AT&T offering a $100 credit for new lines. The company is also hiring for about 70 positions in Austin.
- Austin's Querium Corp. has launched a TSI math prep course.
Got a Linkdown item we should include in a future update? E-mail it to us with “LINKDOWN:” in the subject line.