We're currently in that in-between space of South by Southwest Interactive activity. The fest itself is March 13-17, but we're already deep into the PanelPicker process, some firm programming announcements have already been made and award nominations are being sought.
There's no big announcement to speak of today, but here's a roundup of other things you should be aware of if you're involved with SXSW, have plans to attend or are still looking for a way to get your foot in the door to participate:
- The SXSW Interactive Awards have been re-branded The SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards (because: innovation). 14 main categories are available for nominations for projects that launched (or are launching) in 2014. It costs $15 to apply for early entries before the fee goes up on Sept. 26. Entry deadline is Nov. 7. Finalists for the awards get a free badge.
- SXSW Accelerator, the startup competition, is also accepting entrees and the fee there is $200. Deadline is also Nov. 7.
- Gaming Awards deadline isn't until December 12. There's a separate application for indie games under the "Gamer's Voice" category.
- Voting on programming at PanelPicker.sxsw.com is going on right now with the voting closing up on Friday, Sept. 5. (Expect that deadline to stretch to the end of Sunday, Sept. 7.)
- Registration price for a SXSW Interactive badge goes up from $825 to $925 after Sept. 12.
- You can dig through the PanelPicker if you like, but using the search function will help narrow down areas of interest. It's not perfect, but you'll find 94 panels if you search for "Food," 23 if you search for "Cat" and 132 if you search "Sports," 47 for "Crowdfunding" and 275 (wow!) for "Virtual reality."
We'll probably start getting early announcements for keynote speakers and additional programming and more as we roll into September.