- Omar L. Gallaga American-Statesman Staff
From Spoon to Ice Cube, Solange to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Austin City Limits Festival 2017 is upon us, and it's got a silent disco to prove it. We pull in our favorite music writers to talk shop.
First up is Deborah Sengupta Stith, Austin360/Statesman music writer and Eric Webb, Austin360 and Statesman social media and engagement editor, to talk festival security in the wake of Las Vegas, the lack of Latin music acts, and funny/annoying banned items. (Unsealed sunscreen, anyone?)
Next, KGSR's Andy Langer joins us to answer the question: who exactly is ACL for? And where does it rank next to music festivals like Coachella and Bonnaroo? He also shares his #1 pick on the lineup, Charlotte Cardin, and a cool (slash potentially creepy) piece of Jumbotron technology involving you and your face.
Also, hey- remember when ACL was just a TV show? No? Time for some history, children. Austin360 and Statesman music writer Peter Blackstock sketches out the concurrent histories of "Austin City Limits," the TV show (born in the '70s) and Austin City Limits, the festival (born in the aughts) and how the latter has reshaped the former.
In our "Advice for Austinites" segment, we answer the question: "should you take kids to ACL?" And in A Toast, we recommend some things you should be checking out.
- Austin City Limits 2017: the full lineup.
- Austin360’s complete coverage.
- ACL FOOOOOD.
- This is what a silent disco from Austin’s Quiet Events looks like.
- Charlotte Cardin.
- Be prepared for an airport-style search at the gate.
- Toast picks: Skillet cookies, “My Giant Life” on TLC, “Foisted!” on your “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” Vigilante Bar and roasted eggplant.
- How to contact us and more info on the podcast.
- Want to leave a voice mail instead we can use on the show? Call 512-445-3672.