- Sarah Elsesser, Palm Beach Post
October is upon us and so is “Friday the 13th” -- a day known to be filled with scary movies and superstition.
But, how often do we get a Friday the 13th that falls during the month also known for Halloween? In the past 20 years, it has only occurred three times: 1995, 2000 and 2006.
While some are afraid of this “cursed day,” others are planning to live it up with $13 tattoos that some tattoo parlors are offering as Friday the 13th specials and, of course, by watching scary movies. Did somebody say Jason?
The 13th seems like fun for some, but where does the day get its bad reputation? It goes way back in history. Here are some theories:
- Some believe that Adam and Eve ate “forbidden fruit” on a Friday, and that Jesus was crucified on a Friday. There were also 13 apostles at the Last Supper.
- The 1907 book titled Friday, the Thirteenth, tells the story of how a stock broker choose that day to take down Wall Street.
- The Da Vinci Code says an order of knights was arrested, tortured and killed on Friday, October 13, 1307.
- There is also just a long list of a bad things that happened on the date.
For those who are hyped and maybe a little apprehensive about tomorrow, no need to worry. Just get through the day because the next time Friday the 13th falls on a Friday won’t be until 2023.View full experience