Find fun things to doin the Austin, TX area
Posted: 10:32 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2012
By Chad Swiatecki
Austin Fan Fest
Austin Fan Fest, featuring a selection of nearly 100 bands and other entertainment, is Friday evening through Sunday. Much of the music will take place on five free stages in the Second Street district near ACL Live.
Ticketed shows (prices vary):
* ACL Live. Friday: Juanes, Saturday: Lupe Fiasco, Sunday: the Wallflowers.
* The Erwin Center. Friday: Aerosmith with Cheap Trick
* The Austin Convention Center. Friday: Flo Rida with Cobra Starship, Saturday: Enrique Iglesias with Nelly and Tee Double.
* The Bob Bullock Texas History Museum. Sunday, COTA closing party: Ghostland Observatory, Fitz & The Tantrums, the Wailers, DJ Jillian Ann, Tje Austin, DJ DannyBoy.
Free shows (the stage names are Austin Creates, Bazaarvoice, Bud Light Clear, Channel Stage presented by Titos Handmade Vodka and Univision):
Austin Creates: David Girabaldi, 11:30 p.m.
Bazaarvoice: Phoebe Hunt, 6:15; Erin Ivey, 7:05 p.m., Akina Adderley and the Vintage Playboys, 1 a.m.
Bud Light: Fastball, 6:45 p.m.; Ivan Neville’s Dumpstapunk, 9 p.m.
Clear Channel/Tito’s Vodka: Whiskey Shivers, 10:15 p.m.
Univision: A.J. Castillo, 8:15 p.m.
Austin Creates: Austin Community Steelband, 4 p.m.
Bazaarvoice: The Midgetmen, 4:35 p.m.; Leopold and His Fiction, 8:50 p.m.; Quiet Company, 11 p.m.
Bud Light: Speak, 6:45 p.m.; Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, 8:45 p.m.; the Bright Light Social Hour, 11:15 p.m.
Clear Channel/Tito’s Vodka: Rocket Boys, 5:30 p.m.; Eagle Eye Williamson, 8 p.m.
Univision: Monoz, 3 p.m.
Austin Creates: Austin Jazz Workshop, 5 p.m.; Spunshine/Sagre del Sol, 7 p.m.
Bazaarvoice - Shakey Graves, 6 p.m.; Feathers, 8 p.m.; T-Bird and the Breaks, 11:10 p.m.
Bud Light: Bob Schneider, 6 p.m.; Donavon Frankenreiter, 10:45 p.m.
Clear Channel/Tito’s Vodka: Mike and The Moonpies, 7:15 p.m.
Univision: Quira Olvera y 3val, 10 p.m.
* Six Lounge, 319 Colorado St., is being used to launch a music and fitness festival called MIX3R that will be at the track May 3-4. This weekend’s event promises a “spectacle of sound, dance, lights and giveaways.” DJ’s will spin, people will dance and drink specials will be available, as will early-bird tickets for the festival. The space is free and open to the public from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday, noon to 2 a.m. Saturday and noon to 2 a.m. Sunday.
For a full schedule of events, visit austinfanfest.com
* Because Formula One arrives in town already established around the world, it also arrives with plenty of side parties and events, both official and not. Austin F1 fan Danielle Crespo has put together one of the best unofficial Grand Prix social calendars we’ve seen, including all the official events at the track. Go to austinraceevents.com and make your schedule.
* Willie Nelson, Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel, and other musicians perform tonight as part of “The Best of Texas Music” at ACL Live ($190 to $275). It’s one of several F1 experiences put together by Formula Austin. See more at www.formula-austin.com/index.htm
Look for photos, videos, scene reports, interviews and more all weekend, as well as coverage of the race, at statesman.com and austin360.com. There, you’ll also find all the information from our special fan guide to F1, which was published in Wednesday’s newspaper.