In an effort to highlight the contributions of women in the country music genre, the University of Texas Press will release a book of essays written by female country artists about female country artists this September.
“Woman Walk the Line: How the Women in Country Music Changed Our Lives” is edited by country music critic and journalist Holly Gleason and will feature four essays written by country artists Taylor Swift, Rosanne Cash, Grace Potter and Aubrie Sellers.
The rest of the essays are written by other women on the impact that women in country music have had on their lives. Authors include James Beard Foundation award winner Ronni Lundy, “Access Hollywood” senior producer Nancy Harrison, “No Depression” editor-in-chief Kim Ruehl and many more.
“The way this music and these women are written about says so much about the way music marks our lives, shapes our journey or keeps us safe in rugged times,” Gleason said in an interview with the “Saving Country Music” blog this week. “It’s women of varying ages all writing about how music touched and changed their lives — part witness, part love letter, a bit of music criticism, a little history and a whole lot of heart. It’s more than what they wore or who they dated, as today’s reductionist media makes it. And that’s where the marrow of these essays begins.”
According to SCM, here’s the full table of contents for the essay anthology (authors are in parentheses):
- Maybelle Carter: The Root of It All (Caryn Rose)
- Lil Hardin: That’s How I Got to Memphis (Alice Randall)
- Wanda Jackson: When She Starts Eruptin’ (Holly George-Warren )
- Hazel Dickens: The Plangent Bone (Ronni Lundy)
- June Carter Cash: Eulogy for a Mother (Rosanne Cash)
- Brenda Lee: Rare Peer (Taylor Swift)
- Bobbie Gentry: Let the Mystery Be (Meredith Ochs)
- Loretta Lynn: The Pill (Madison Vain)
- Dolly Parton: Long Island Down Home Blues (Nancy Harrison)
- Emmylou Harris: Common Ground in an Uncommon Love (Ali Berlow)
- Barbara Mandrell: Lubbock in the Rearview Mirror (Shelby Morrison)
- Tanya Tucker: Punk Country and Sex Wide Open (Holly Gleason)
- Rita Coolidge: A Dark-Eyed Cherokee Country Gal (Kandia Crazy Horse)
- Linda Ronstadt: Canciones di Corazon Salvage (Grace Potter)
- Rosanne Cash: Expectations and Letting Go (Deborah Sprague)
- The Judds: Comfort Far from Home (Courtney E. Smith)
- k.d. lang: Flawless, Fearless (Kelly McCartney)
- Lucinda Williams, Flesh & Ghosts, Dreams + Marrow (Lady Goodman)
- Mary Chapin Carpenter: Every Hometown Girl (Cynthia Sanz)
- Patty Loveless: Beyond What You Know (Wendy Pearl)
- Shania Twain: But the Little Girls Understand (Emily Yahr)
- Alison Krauss: Draw Your Own Map (Aubrie Sellers)
- Terri Clark: Better Things to Do (Amy Elizabeth McCarthy)
- Taylor Swift: Through the Eyes of a Critic, of a Mom (Elysa Gardner)
- Kacey Musgraves: Follow Your Arrow (Dacey Orr)
- Rhiannon Giddens: A Gift Past the Songs (Caroline Randall Williams)
- Patty Griffin: Remembering to Breathe (Kim Ruehl)
The book is available for preorder here.
This story has been updated to include more of the authors featured in the anthology.
IN OTHER NEWS: