Editor’s note: This article was originally published September 19, 2014
Latin rhythms will be among the global grooves featured at Wobeon, Austin’s world music festival happening Sept. 20 at Ironwood Hall. Deborah Sengupta Stith reported the details on Austin Music Source, but here are a few stand-outs bringing Latin music to festival. Also, check out how Latin rhythms inspire artists who are not from Latin America.
- Dendê, percussionist playing Afro-Brazilian funk and groove
- Maracatu Texas, a local community drum group showcasing Afro-Brazilian music traditions from Pernambuco
- Kiko Villamizar, Colombian-raised musician who now lives in Austin and performs a fusion of Afro-Colombiano with reggae and other Latin world beats
- Farah Siraj, Jordanian who incorporates Flamenco to her Jazz and Arabic music
- Vivalda Dula, singer/songwriter from Angola who sings almost entirely in Portuguese
For more information about the lineup, schedule and tickets, click here.