- Katey Psencik American-Statesman Staff
For those who love to feel drive-in movie nostalgia, Austin’s only drive-in theater, Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-in, is expanding.
The theater, which relocated from the east side to South Austin earlier this year, has now added a bar at the South Austin location and a pop-up location in West Austin.
The new Blue Starlite Cinema Saloon will to the public in August, serving local beer and Texas wines. For now, it’s only open for patrons of the drive-in — it opens 90 minutes before move showtimes.
In June, patrons can buy drink vouchers to the saloon and enjoy a free movie for the following movies:
- June 11: “Back to The Future Part 3”
- June 12: Game Night with “Mortal Kombat” (and pre-movie gaming)
- June 14: “Back to the Future Part 3”
- June 21: “Kill Bill V. 1”
- June 22: “Kill Bill V. 2”
- June 26: Game night with “Super Mario Bros.” (and pre-movie gaming)
- June 28: “Lego Batman Movie”
Blue Starlite lovers can also become a member of the Cinema Saloon and Social Club, which includes a free drink voucher for any regular screening.
The West Austin pop-up location at Graceland Oaks Event Center reportedly features beverages, barbecue and movies. The lineup currently includes “Purple Rain” and “Labyrinth” on June 2 and “The Goonies” on June 16.
- Blue Starlite Drive-In moving from Austin to Buda
Movie review: ‘Wonder Woman’ is the hero we deserve